Pictures from yesterday's APG tours - DD Sherman, M12, M60..
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Pictures from yesterday's APG tours - DD Sherman, M12, M60.. Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:58 pm
    ----
First the DD Sherman

The M12 GMC - presumably the only surviving example in the world

Unfortunately we didnt get any sort of group photo - we should have taken one with you Chris! And we had one notable MIA...

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Pictures from yesterday's APG tours - DD Sherman, M12, M60.. Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:31 pm
    ----
Thanks Neil,

I guess I spoke too soon ,

Now I need to go where I can view them.

Joe D

#3: Re: Pictures from yesterday's APG tours - DD Sherman, M12, M60.. Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:41 pm
    ----
M3A5 Lee

M4A3E8 Sherman Easy Eight

M41 Walker Bulldog

M60A3 - Joe, the SN on the tow lug was 299; although the rear deck appeared to say "A3 299" and couldnt make out what was written below it....

M67 Patton flamethrower tank - why is the turret a different color, from another tank perhaps? SN was 1237W (hadnt seen a W before)

PzKpfw III Ausf N

Neil

#4: Re: Pictures from yesterday's APG tours - DD Sherman, M12, M60.. Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:02 pm
    ----
SU-100

T18E1

T97

XM247 Sergeant York - it has SN AID251

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: Pictures from yesterday's APG tours - DD Sherman, M12, M60.. Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:46 pm
    ----
Oh yeah, and I took this picture as I was leaving. I call it "Little David and Big David" Wink

I had heard there was a family of groundhogs living underneath Little David, but had never seen any before... There were a couple out around post yesterday...

Neil

#6: Re: Pictures from yesterday's APG tours - DD Sherman, M12, M Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:25 am
    ----
Nice pics; mine are downloading now. A group shot would have been a good idea. Hopefully there will be a next time. Wink

BTW, wasn't the T18 armed with the twin .50 cal cupolas, and the T18E2 with a single one?

#7: Re: Pictures from yesterday's APG tours - DD Sherman, M12, M60.. Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:19 am
    ----
You're right, T18E1! Thanks Chris!

Neil

#8: Re: Pictures from yesterday's APG tours - DD Sherman, M12, M60.. Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:09 pm
    ----
nice pics Neil, thanks

#9: Re: Pictures from yesterday's APG tours - DD Sherman, M12, M Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:43 pm
    ----
Yeah, nice front views of the Panzer III N, I was looking for some.. thanks Neil.

Pierre-Olivier

#10: Re: Pictures from yesterday's APG tours - DD Sherman, M12, M60.. Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:24 pm
    ----
Cool pics! Thanks for posting them, Neil. I gotta visit there soon!

#11: Re: Pictures from yesterday's APG tours - DD Sherman, M12, M60.. Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:25 pm
    ----
Great Pictures Neil,
Especially the ones from the M60A3 Smile . Thanks for getting the serial number too. I always figured Aberdeen's A3 was numbered below 750. 229 makes this old girl originally an M60A3 Passive. Looking at the Gunner's sight housing you can tell it was upgraded to TTS (Just like all the other A3 Passives). You can also make out the wind sensor mast stowage bracket "J" hook and .50 cal interupter that all the early Detroit A3's had. This was also found on some of the very early Anniston rebuilds too. What's pretty intersting is the searchlight cable receptacle has not been welded over with a cap when the conversion was done. This tank was converted to TTS standard by a contact team instead of being sent off.

The pictures of the M67A2 (guessing it's an A2) are geat too. The M1 cupola is the last version with the TC's "Hump" and vision block ring. Looking closely at the picture you can see the rear deck is also the same color as the turret. Looks like someone started to paint her and quit before starting the lower hull.

Wished I was on this tour, like Chris said, gotta visit this place.
Joe D

#12: Re: Pictures from yesterday's APG tours - DD Sherman, M12, M60.. Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:53 am
    ----
Hello all, I have finished my studies for the semester - so hopefully I will have some more time for various "projects" this summer Wink

Anyway, I got a "number" off the tow lug of the T70 (M18 Hellcat) pilot at the parade ground on the 21st - 40128386. Too long to be an SN, I figured it was an RN - first one I had seen stamped on a tow lug.

Well, surprise, surprise - on page 307 of Hunnicutt's Stuart is a picture of T70 pilot number 3, at APG on 11 June 1943 - with registration number 40128386...

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board