Tank for sale...(SN check)
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Tank for sale...(SN check) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:59 am
    ----
As advertised...

Running and ready to go. The Chieftain went into service in 1967. Only 900 were built, it is 24' 8" long, 11' 6" wide and 9' 6" tall, the weight is 50 tons. It is equipped with a 120MM high velocity gun (which is 19' long), NBC ventilation system and a Leyland model L-60 #4 mark 7A two stroke 12 cylinder vertically opposed , 750 HP multi-fuel engine.

We have several major components and spare parts available for these Tanks.
Price: $45,000. ea.
NOTE: Also have one display vehicle complete less motor and transmission or could be a project vehicle.
Price$25,000.

Anyone interested in SNs for One of four Chieftains offered for sale.....

Don

#2: Re: Tank for sale...(SN check) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:07 am
    ----
Neil

Check your list, this is on it. Looks like it'll be moving soon....

M41 Walker Bulldog Light Tank

Complete professional older restoration , This M41 was rebuilt with mainly NOS original parts , tracks ,bogie's , track pads , instruments seats and wiring to name a few . Motor and drive line were rebuilt and tested by a gov. contractor it is as close to NEW as I have seen , beautiful condition , complete , everything works and it runs great. You must see this one to appreciate it fully . Weight is 50,700 lbs. Length is 18' ( 26' 4" including the barrel ) height is 9' and width is 10' 6" .
Price: $110,000.00
Location , Ind.

Back on the prowl... Cool
Don

#3: Re: Tank for sale...(SN check) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:26 am
    ----
Unfortunately, the only way I have seen Chieftains tracked is by the "VRN," which is a number-letter combination - such as 02EB60.

We discussed VRNs back on this thread
www.com-central.net/in...pic&t=5791

According to the T131(be), the "VRN can been found at the inside of the hull on a small metal plate behind the turret basket on the firewall that divides the hull between the fighting compartment and the engine compartment. So it is possible that the turret has to be turned around."

Of course I am curious who has four Chieftains... Perhaps the former "Tactical Tanks" outfit in Sherman TX.

Neil

#4: Re: Tank for sale...(SN check) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:56 pm
    ----
Looks like Royal Ordanance Factory Leeds. Manufacturers SN Maybe ?

Joe D

#5: Re: Tank for sale...(SN check) Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:23 pm
    ----
Before buying any US equipment you might wanna read this link, you have to wonder how many people have illegal tanks and artillery. BTW the Walker for sale is just up the street from me if anyone wants better pics

Ropkey article

#6: Re: Tank for sale...(SN check) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:19 pm
    ----
Yeah, I wondered about the Nitro M1917 when Ropkey got it after the town mayor said he wanted in back...

However, I am pretty certain Mr Moody didnt get the M1917 direct from a US government sale. Info I have is that it was the M1917 previously on display in Alexandria, Virginia. I suspect the city, or whoever owned that one, sold it to Mr Moody... I'll have to send this article to my "17" contact...

Neil

#7: Re: Tank for sale...(SN check) Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:15 am
    ----
I find it somewhat hard to believe a VFW paid for a tank, but who knows

#8: Re: Tank for sale...(SN check) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:32 am
    ----
Here's a better article on the tank

www.washingtonpost.com...01198.html

Sounds like the Alexandria VFW never had the right to sell it in the first place...

Neil

#9: Re: Tank for sale...(SN check) Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:40 am
    ----
Tacom seems to think they own most of those tanks, artillery pieces and rifles at AL's and VFW's. It will be interesting to see what happens.

#10: Re: Tank for sale...(SN check) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:32 am
    ----
They Do Surprised ,

IAW AR 700-131, Chapter 6, TACOM is responsible to determine who can receive these items (excess combat material). Items are given on a conditional basis. The receiver is responsible for shipping/ delivery of the item. Under Title 10, USC code 2572(a) , TACOM is also responsible for tracking all items and verifing their status. They also have the authority to take any item back (repo) if the recipient violates any of the conditions of the gift. The receiver will also be held accountable for the return shipping if repocessed.

Get this: TACOM also must maintain a "registry" Shocked of all items. Funny how this came up, I've been researching this topic and was going to petition TACOM for that list when I got home.

Whaddya think Neil???

Joe D

#11: Re: Tank for sale...(SN check) Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:25 am
    ----
I'm supposed to talk to Tacom today about the list, I'll will keep you all updated on what I find out. Standby

#12: Re: Tank for sale...(SN check) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:00 am
    ----
I suspect two things about the TACOM "registry." First off, I bet it wouldnt be made publically available (unless its FOIAed) due to "security" concerns. Somebody probably thinks a listing of various tanks on display could be used by terrorists... I know its farcical, but remember this same post is off limits for any photography.

Secondly - call me conceited - but I suspect its not nearly as complete as the register I have put together with ya'll's help. We already know TACOM doesnt have a good account of where all these items are from this one case. Now, of course that doesnt mean that the USA AFV register couldnt benefit from info in the TACOM register (and conceivably vice-versa). I'm sure it has a fair share of info that isnt in mine - although it might be tricky separating out-of-date from new info - especially if it had SNs & RNs. Let us know what you find out, but I am just very skeptical it will be released to us - I'd more likely believe they'll use my register to update theirs Wink

Neil

#13: Re: Tank for sale...(SN check) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:47 am
    ----
Neil,
FOIA was how I was going to approach requesting this list from TACOM. I doubt if any stuff from the 70's or earlier would be accurate but I'm pretty sure the newer items (M60's Mr. Green ) would be listed. That was my main motivation. The AR states that all items must be accounted for yearly and reports must be sent in NLT 15 January of each year. That was my main motivation. There is also a chance it might list the point of origin before being donated. AJ2, let me know how the request goes please. BTW, I have a copy of AR 700-131. Oh yeah, CMH (Center for Military History) is responsible for items deemed historical, the FT-17 probably falls under their domain.

Joe D

#14: Re: Tank for sale...(SN check) Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:11 pm
    ----
I'm trying to cut a deal where I trade my Artillery List for their Register, might work, I will let you all know what I find out....Everyone please standby, too many request at once will confuse the issue.

#15: Re: Tank for sale...(SN check) Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:03 pm
    ----
I have seen the registry, it is massive and lots of stuff on it is no longer in the places idicated, ie, illegally sold or scrapped. There was stuff on the list going back to the 40's, the VFW hall by my house is supposed to have a Stuart, an 40MM and a 75 MM gun, all loaned in 1946, not a trace of them there, nor have they been there as long as I have lived here, but the Army still records them and owns them. So much for the property book accounting....
BTW, we don't "seem to think" we own these assets, we DO own these assets.
Always check the TACOM loan registry before buying armor or artillery, or any VFW marked rifle for that matter.

-> AFV News Discussion Board