Armor Warfighting Conference pics - last batch (I promise!)
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Armor Warfighting Conference pics - last batch (I promise!) Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:23 pm
    ----
Within one area of the conference center were these two old warriors. I believe they were privately-owned and were there as some sort of historical artifacts showing how far armor has come. Smile

--Bob Steinbrunn

#2: Re: Armor Warfighting Conference pics - last batch (I promis Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:32 pm
    ----
Bob,

I take umbrage at the use of the "old warrior" and "historical artifact" terms. It's too....personal. Laughing

(Thanks for the M551 shots...got any higher res you can send me?)

#3: Re: Armor Warfighting Conference pics - last batch (I promise!) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:02 pm
    ----
- A-109E
Within one area of the conference center were these two old warriors. I believe they were privately-owned and were there as some sort of historical artifacts showing how far armor has come. Smile

--Bob Steinbrunn

Bob

Those 'relics' are two of the operational vehicles in the inventory of the Patton Museum. The Museum regularily hosts a display to provide an example of Armor History, and to highlight its mission to preserve the 'relics'.

The Sheridan has been used in the 'Armor in Asia' program ( normally on 4th July weekend ).

Heres a larger shot as I am TCing the same M551 in 2005 'Armor in Asia'.

TumbleWeed can attest to this little running beast.....(She still has a wicked 'drift' problem. Nulling out just doesn't last....)

The M20 was part of the 'Life of the Soldier' program Memoral Day Weekend. AJ2 has posted some excellent shots during the 'drive-by'.

Thanks for posting all your shots. Some how I completely missed this years conference.

I was a Museum attendant during the CG's Stable Call in the Museum. Mr. Green

Regards,
Don

#4: Re: Armor Warfighting Conference pics - last batch (I promis Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:45 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Bob,

I take umbrage at the use of the "old warrior" and "historical artifact" terms. It's too....personal. Laughing

Doug, my vintage friend,

I felt perfect freedom using those terms since...as you may see....I'm a bit of both of these myself. <grin>

This pic shows two old friends.....both museum pieces. <another grin>

- Doug_Kibbey

Yep. I took these at 5.0 megapixels, fine resolution. How and where would you like them sent?

--Bob

#5: Re: Armor Warfighting Conference pics - last batch (I promise!) Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:54 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Bob

Those 'relics' are two of the operational vehicles in the inventory of the Patton Museum. The Museum regularily hosts a display to provide an example of Armor History, and to highlight its mission to preserve the 'relics'.

Thanks, Don,

This 'relic' appreciates both your clarification and information! Smile

- Dontos
Thanks for posting all your shots. Some how I completely missed this years conference.

I was a Museum attendant during the CG's Stable Call in the Museum. Mr. Green

Regards,
Don

Outstanding! I was in the museum as well. Perhaps we spoke at the front desk? Were you that devilishly handsome fellow in the desert BDUs? Mr. Green

--Bob

#6: Re: Armor Warfighting Conference pics - last batch (I promis Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:55 pm
    ----
- A-109E
- Doug_Kibbey
Bob,

Doug, my vintage friend,

I felt perfect freedom using those terms since...as you may see....I'm a bit of both of these myself. <grin>

This pic shows two old friends.....both museum pieces. <another grin>

- Doug_Kibbey

Yep. I took these at 5.0 megapixels, fine resolution. How and where would you like them sent?

--Bob

Bob,
I'll PM ya' an email...

Who'd ya "Ghostride" fer...60th or 189th Aslt. Heli? You get to fly that Agusta now? Smile

Doug

#7: Re: Armor Warfighting Conference pics - last batch (I promis Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:38 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

Who'd ya "Ghostride" fer...60th or 189th Aslt. Heli? You get to fly that Agusta now? Smile

Doug

Well, at the risk of drifting off topic and being run down by Dontos in his Sheridan as punishment ( Smile ), I was in the 189th Assault Helicopter Company at Camp Holloway in Pleiku where I flew as Ghostrider 22. That was long ago in a galaxy far away......

If you have the interest, here's the 189th's Web site: www.189thahc.org/

And yes, I currently fly the Agusta A-109 for a hospital in Minneapolis. We have seven of these things stationed at four bases around the state. It's sort of a Ferrari with four rotor blades.... Surprised

The instrument panel makes the Huey's look like some old pick up truck's....(no offense, old friend.)

....but they made me give up my flight suit.... Sad

One of the reasons I revisited Ft. Knox was sort of nostalgic. After graduating from Army flight school in 1967 I was sent to Knox where the 3rd and 7th Squadrons of the 17th Air Cavalry formed up. I flew UH-1C gunships in Alpha Troop. The following photo is a plaque outside the Patton Museum commemorating those units. The plaque is old, tarnished, and corroded. I wonder if I am, too? Mr. Green

Again, if you have the interest in this unit you can look into these Web sites:
17th Air Cavalry: www.ruthlessriders.net/
Alpha Troop, 7/17 Cav: atroop.homestead.com/index.html

And finally, for some amusement you could have a look at:
aircavalry17.tripod.co...unnltr.htm

...so long ago, yet seems just like yesterday........

#8: Re: Armor Warfighting Conference pics - last batch (I promis Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:48 pm
    ----
Great stuff, Bob....I was also in 17th cav, but two elements of the 2nd. Sqdn.....(pics are dynamic.."click" on 'em)

www.vhpamuseum.org/17t...quad.shtml

and...

www.vhpamuseum.org/17t...roop.shtml

We've got some links to your unit, but we're thin on stuff...got some images you'd care to contribute? I can forward to John, the webmaster and get 'em posted for ya':

www.vhpamuseum.org/com...9ahc.shtml

www.vhpamuseum.org/17t...quad.shtml

Wink

Charley Models, eh...we've got a buddy over in JG300 might wanna' talk to you.....

Liked your "return to Vietnam"...here's mine (courtesy of A Co., 101 Avn. Bn. for the space)
www.a101avn.org/doug_kibbeytrip.htm

#9: Re: Armor Warfighting Conference pics - last batch (I promise!) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:23 pm
    ----
[quote="A-109E"]

Outstanding! I was in the museum as well. Perhaps we spoke at the front desk? Were you that devilishly handsome fellow in the desert BDUs? Mr. Green

--Bob

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes

Hell No!!!...... I was one of the geekie civilian attendants in a Coat & Tie. I hovered around the Vietnam Era, OP DS, & OIF vehicles for most of the function.

(except when scavaging for food....) Mr. Green

Good try though....

Hope you can make a return trip some time, then perhaps I can give you the 'nickel' tour.

Don

#10: Re: Armor Warfighting Conference pics - last batch (I promise!) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:45 pm
    ----
Coat & Tie Shocked

#11: Re: Armor Warfighting Conference pics - last batch (I promise!) Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:58 pm
    ----
- Dontos

Hell No!!!...... I was one of the geekie civilian attendants in a Coat & Tie. I hovered around the Vietnam Era, OP DS, & OIF vehicles for most of the function.

Don

Ah! You're the devilishly handsome TC, then. But why are you smiling?

Is it because you see your entire life passing before your eyes as Patton Museum Curator Charlie Lemons drives? Mr. Green

Thanks for the tour offer, Don; much appreciated! I'd love to see the inside of the Richardson Motor Park next time.

--Bob

#12: Re: Armor Warfighting Conference pics - last batch (I promis Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:04 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Great stuff, Bob....I was also in 17th cav, but two elements of the 2nd. Sqdn

Liked your "return to Vietnam"...here's mine (courtesy of A Co., 101 Avn. Bn. for the space)

Fascinating reading, Doug. Thanks for the glimpse into your service in (the former republic of) Vietnam. The return trip was touching. (Love your haircut: you're the obvious runner-up in the Paul McCartney look-alike contest! <grin>

--Bob

#13: Re: Armor Warfighting Conference pics - last batch (I promis Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:36 pm
    ----
- A-109E
(Love your haircut: you're the obvious runner-up in the Paul McCartney look-alike contest! <grin>

--Bob

...might not have been quite "regulation"...(what with a war and all...) Mr. Green
Mah main page is here...less time, but carrying a camera was less...problematic. Wink

www.vhpamuseum.org/11t...hcav.shtml

#14: Re: Armor Warfighting Conference pics - last batch (I promis Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:33 am
    ----
- A-109E

Again, if you have the interest in this unit you can look into these Web sites:
17th Air Cavalry: www.ruthlessriders.net/
Alpha Troop, 7/17 Cav: atroop.homestead.com/index.html

And finally, for some amusement you could have a look at:
aircavalry17.tripod.co...unnltr.htm

...so long ago, yet seems just like yesterday........

If that RTO (who's packin' light, but sure has enough smoke) caught a round in either of those ilum. rounds there, he'd sure as heck have regretted it! Shocked

#15: Re: Armor Warfighting Conference pics - last batch (I promise!) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:46 pm
    ----
- bsmart
Coat & Tie Shocked

Yes Bob, I do have (an occasionally wear) a Coat & Tie !!! Cool

(Okay so I only have one, but hey give me a break... Mr. Green )

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board