I received a curious email today./. (Tiger I tank related)
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: I received a curious email today./. (Tiger I tank relate Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:27 am
    ----
- JimWeb
- Roy_A_Lingle
- Doug_Kibbey

...and M113's into all-singing, all-dancing air-transportable land battleships for the twenty-first century air-mech strike battlefield and Our Boys who are screaming for more firepower!

Sense the M113 G..... is the answer to all the US's problems Rolling Eyes and Dontos's comment about G.....s In Space Laughing , why don't mount the space shuttle's externial fuel tank along with the two boster rockets on the Super M113 G.... and use it for a replacement for the space shuttle when it is retired! Mr. Green

Who said that?
Sgt, Scouts Out!

And Sparky as the pilot....

Cool

You said it Jim!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#17: Re: I received a curious email today./. (Tiger I tank related) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:16 pm
    ----
Here are a couple pictures of one of the Replica 8 Rads

#18: Re: I received a curious email today./. (Tiger I tank related) Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:50 am
    ----
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

Very interesting! Other than the tires looking to small, it look OK.

Any idea what it is used for?
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#19: Re: I received a curious email today./. (Tiger I tank related) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:04 pm
    ----
An Update on this thread.
I recently received an email from "Karl-Heinz Dorenkamp from Tecnobaltic ltd." He says they are the organization that is working on the Replica Tiger.

Here is the response I just sent him -
------------
Karl-Heinz Dorenkamp wrote:
> Hello Bob,
>
> Here writes Karl-Heinz Dorenkamp from Tecnobaltic ltd. / germany, we are the company how builds the Tiger-Replica. I have seen your comment in the forum and I would like to inform you.

Sir - I am very happy to hear from you about the project. There are other folks on the AFVnews discussion group that would also be interested. I am hesitant to share your correspondence with me without your express permission. If I did pass it on I am sure there would be many more well intentioned questions. I think the best thing would be to join our group and announce it yourself. There is no cost to joining, we are very SPAM free and I believe the group to be a very mature group of people who are seriously interested in armor history. I'm sure that you would be well received if you joined the group and made an announcement there. It would also be a way of allowing all of us informed of the project.

I'm sure you realize that there is some skepticism about this project based on stories and rumors we have seen over the years. All of us in the group would appreciate a chance to find out about a sincere and well intentioned attempt to complete such an ambitious project

Bob Smart
(bsmart@xecu.net)
--------------

His letter includes more details about the project. It also includes a Web Site that he says is currently under construction.
www.tecnobaltic.de.vu

The site exists I just went to it but I have not researched it beyond that.

Hopefully if it is a good faith project he will accept my offer, join the group and announce it here

#20: Re: I received a curious email today./. (Tiger I tank relate Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:32 pm
    ----
I really wonder if there is any link with this "Tiger I replica" project, which seems to be led in Germany too :

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249952

P-O

#21: Re: I received a curious email today./. (Tiger I tank related) Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:25 pm
    ----
Hey Bob And All

when I just tried to go to the technobaltic web page my anti virus kicked in and I had to abort loading the page because it was listed as trying to download some fashion of Malware to my computer

Jeff Lewis

#22: Re: I received a curious email today./. (Tiger I tank relate Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:53 pm
    ----
- piney
Hey Bob And All

when I just tried to go to the technobaltic web page my anti virus kicked in and I had to abort loading the page because it was listed as trying to download some fashion of Malware to my computer

Jeff Lewis

Thanks for the warning

That is one advantage I have since my main machine is running Linux. It is relatively immune to malware. The problem is that it doesn't warn me when the site may be dangerous to others.

#23: Re: I received a curious email today./. (Tiger I tank relate Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:22 am
    ----
this is what I found back in september
dennis

www.hmvf.co.uk/index.p...mid=2%3C/a

#24: Re: I received a curious email today./. (Tiger I tank relate Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:27 pm
    ----
Even an expanded Google search shows a limited number of returns from few websites, mostly discussion groups like this one, all with the same general level of perplexity about the same original post we've seen. They also ask reasonable questions like this one posed by David Byrden at Missing-Lynx:

"Why can Google find no references to any company called 'Tecnobaltic'?"

www.network54.com/Foru...+tigers%5D

For a company that is a "drawing office in the range machine building and vehicle manufacturing / automotive." there should be a more easily found record of performance in that function, particularly since we have German members. In the U.S. it would a relatively simple matter running down something like a Dun and Bradstreet report or record in the public domain. That no address has surfaced in five pages of results I perused seems unusual. (Unless I overlooked it, which is possible, please point it out to me if this is the case)

Bob, did you obtain one in your email exchange? I think it would be reasonable to ask for one.

D.

#25: Re: I received a curious email today./. (Tiger I tank related) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:51 pm
    ----
I am waiting to see what response the email I sent him (included in my posting yesterday) gets. The last section understates my amount of skepticism on this project. Also note that the 'Top level Domain' of his site is vu. That is Vanuatu. never heard of it? It is in the New Hebrides in the South Pacific. Shocked

www.cia.gov/library/pu...os/nh.html

Now some small countries have 'sold off' their Internet Top Level domains to companies that then resell domains within them, sort of the Internet equivelent of 'Flags of Convienence' or offshore banks. Where few questions are asked as long as the approproate fees are paid. Twisted Evil

If this project is legitimate he does have a lot of questions to answer.

#26: Re: I received a curious email today./. (Tiger I tank related) Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:15 pm
    ----
This is an unusual scam to be running, if indeed it is a scam.

#27: Re: I received a curious email today./. (Tiger I tank relate Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:45 pm
    ----
If you look at the URL, you'll notice his URL is a subdomain of Beepworld.de . His address is: www.beepworld.de/ members/tecnobaltic/index.htm Notice the /members/tecnobaltic/index.htm ? That means that site is in a sub folder called 'members' then another sub folder called 'tecnobaltic'.

www.beep.com/ is a free hosting web site and while I believe in FREE (It's my favorite price.. Smile ) , you have to wonder about a company that's 'in business' and using free sites to promote the business. After all, to make a business impression, one would want to have a 'myemail@mybusiness account I would think. Instead, they're using a Yahoo free web mail account. Hmmm....

Could he/she be running a scam? Possibly, but more than likely it's a Active X plug in trying to allow them to harvest your browsing habits to find out where you're going. Then, they can visit those sites to 'promote' their product.

Like bssmart, I also use a Linux machine ( www.linuxmint.com (a free plug..lol) ) for my main machine, so I don't see those BIG WARNING's going off ... Wink

#28: Re: I received a curious email today./. (Tiger I tank relate Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:53 pm
    ----
Thanks, Jerry. (I tasked Admin's to do some poking around). That might also explain the "pattern" to where that same message tends to appear.

It's also worth noting that there has not been a single follow-up post from "Tecnobaltic" on either the Historic Military Vehicle Forum, Missing Lynx, "Zombie Squad Forums" ( Shocked ), pravokutnik.net, or anywhere else. This would be a six-figure item and there is apparently no working prototype on display or address of record.

Keep your wallets in your pockets and your mouse cursor where it belongs, fella's. 'Nuff said.

-> AFV News Discussion Board