Argentine Army Historical Museum, Part II: Shermans and more
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#11: Re: Argentine Army Historical Museum, Part II: Shermans and more Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:39 am
    ----
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

- Doug_Kibbey

Opened the engine bay of one upgraded one, too. It's all coming in future installments).

Super job Doug! And super thanks to all the very nice folks who help out and who let you do your thing with the camera!

Any idea just what they did with the engine upgrade? I am guessing they did get rid of that original M-4A4 multi-banked engines and went to something that is a lot easier to maintain.

Fireflys! Most interesting!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#12: Re: Argentine Army Historical Museum, Part II: Shermans and more Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:46 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

- Doug_Kibbey

Opened the engine bay of one upgraded one, too. It's all coming in future installments).

Super job Doug! And super thanks to all the very nice folks who help out and who let you do your thing with the camera!

Any idea just what they did with the engine upgrade? I am guessing they did get rid of that original M-4A4 multi-banked engines and went to something that is a lot easier to maintain.

Fireflys! Most interesting!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

For the gearheads...was gonna' do this later, but since it's come up...

And I bet the mechanics cursed the guy who thunk up the multibank engine everytime they opened the bay doors...

First, the engine upgrade. I first thought the long stovepipe was an aux heater pipe or something, but it's the main exhaust.

The multibank on a stand:

Carb routing...one per cyl. bank...two on one side, three on the other. Plumbers nightmare, eat your heart out, Vic Edelbrock...:

"Gee, I coulda' had a V8!"

Tranny. I'm trying to picture this with a Hurst Competition Plus White Ball shifter....

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:56 am; edited 2 times in total

#13: Re: Argentine Army Historical Museum, Part II: Shermans and Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:54 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

I went to some length to stress that our interest is in historic vehicles only (for obvious reasons) and yes, I climbed on the hulls and into the open vehicles. Coronel Sanchez has our forum saved to "favorites" on his computer so keep in mind what we say is being viewed.

Si Senor Kibbey,

duly noted and a very warm muchas gracias to Coronel Sanchez and staff for their hospitality.

Many thanks to you as well, now next time you're on a fact-finding mission, make it look like hard work, so we won't be green with envy... Mr. Green

#14: Re: Argentine Army Historical Museum, Part II: Shermans and Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:56 am
    ----
- TimRoyall
Great photos. I seem to remember years ago that someone in Wheels and Tracks magazine said that Argentina had a number of Crusader Gun Tractors that had been used up until the 70/80s. Any sign of any of those rare beasts?

Tim,

Don't think so, but what'sit look like?

#15: Re: Argentine Army Historical Museum, Part II: Shermans and Author: binder001 PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:12 pm
    ----
Doug, Thank you for sharing the photos.

That looks like a fist-rate military museum. Quite a Sherman collection they have! I have seen photos of that M31 recovery vehicle before. I think it is the most complete of its kind left in existence.

Gary

#16: Re: Argentine Army Historical Museum, Part II: Shermans and Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:25 pm
    ----
- binder001

That looks like a fist-rate military museum. Quite a Sherman collection they have! I have seen photos of that M31 recovery vehicle before. I think it is the most complete of its kind left in existence.

Gary

There is on Wikipedia a report of this one in Tel Aviv with at least one of it's "phony" guns (don't know if it's still the case)

commons.wikimedia.org/...osef-2.jpg

...and Chris Conners has a pic of this one on his site supposedly at the Patton Museum (is this one still there...I don't recall seeing it?)

afvdb.50megs.com/usa/p...rvm31.html

AND THIS GUY HAS DONE A NICE WALKAROUND OF THIS SAME VEHICLE, POSTED HERE: Wink

news.webshots.com/albu...9631RfUgws

#17: Re: Argentine Army Historical Museum, Part II: Shermans and Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:29 pm
    ----
Time to detail out one vehicle....

Interior (remember, it was REALLY, REALLY dark in there..I was shooting blind)...

#18: Re: Argentine Army Historical Museum, Part II: Shermans and Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:57 pm
    ----
[quote="Doug_Kibbey"]
- binder001

Gary

There is on Wikipedia a report of this one in Tel Aviv with at least one of it's "phony" guns (don't know if it's still the case)

commons.wikimedia.org/...osef-2.jpg

...and Chris Conners has a pic of this one on his site supposedly at the Patton Museum (is this one still there...I don't recall seeing it?)

afvdb.50megs.com/usa/p...rvm31.html

We have it.... Its in Front of the Museum.

Don

#19: Re: Argentine Army Historical Museum, Part II: Shermans and more Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:38 am
    ----
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

- Doug_Kibbey

"Gee, I coulda' had a V8!" (Is this a Ford or Cadillac?)

I think that is a Ford GAA V8 that was standard in the M4A3 Shermans.

I like the way they took the time to set up some of the engines for display.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#20: Re: Argentine Army Historical Museum, Part II: Shermans and more Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:21 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

- Doug_Kibbey

"Gee, I coulda' had a V8!" (Is this a Ford or Cadillac?)

I think that is a Ford GAA V8 that was standard in the M4A3 Shermans.

I like the way they took the time to set up some of the engines for display.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5uSx3eFYU

Mr. Green

#21: Re: Argentine Army Historical Museum, Part II: Shermans and Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:37 pm
    ----
So, by now you're all aware of the M4 Reponteciado version with the upgraded French V8 diesel, just with a between-the-cyl-bank exhaust manifold and the 105mm gun which is apparently a copy of the one in the AMX-13 and of Argentine manufacture. There are other mods, but that's the big stuff. Lets look inside one....

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total

#22: Re: Argentine Army Historical Museum, Part II: Shermans and more Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:57 pm
    ----
Personally, I don't warm up to the idea of the side opening breech in an enclosed vehicle(ie a tank).

Weird color coimbo on the interior. Red & Green ?!!!

Cool stuff though Doug. Thanks

"Training has taken place"... Rolling Eyes

#23: Re: Argentine Army Historical Museum, Part II: Shermans and Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:13 am
    ----
'Nuther M4 and who doesn't love a turret trainer?

Meanwhile...over at the Ministry of Defense....

#24: Re: Argentine Army Historical Museum, Part II: Shermans and more Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:09 pm
    ----
Interesting pics, thanks. Smile

#25: Re: Argentine Army Historical Museum, Part II: Shermans and Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:29 pm
    ----
Back to the museum...two views of a dismounted gun. I belive this one was labeled as a 76.2mm...would that make it a 17lb.er?

...and who doesn't love a halftrack?

-> AFV News Discussion Board