Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #2
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #2 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:45 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Hi everyone,
Nothing equates increase in speed bettter on an M551 than stripping it down and attaching fiberglass and PVC to it and calling it a T72. I will not give exact speeds but for those who are familiar with the Speedo/Tach set up (Not those M551/OPFOR T80's but real M551's stripped) might understand that we would max them out and still have RPMs climbing during our massive attacks. ROE speed limit be damned. All this during first light and a massive smoke screen in place. Visibility at best 10-15 meters. Woo-Hooo!!!!!! NTC 87-89.
Joe D

Joe

As I'm typing this, I'm watching some old VHS-C tape I filmed at Ft Polk (1989-1991) & NTC rotation in July-Aug 1990. I sat in my tank 'black' on fuel, and watched the OPFOR assault from the Whale Gap and eventually by-passing 'us' in the vicinity of OP Alpha.

I'm converting all my old video tape to DVD & then will edit some stuff for eventual posting on 'You Tube'. I'll post some still when I get them. Stay tuned.

BTW: I maintained an excellent position in a wadi, and was able to 'kill' 15 T72's & BMP's (All sheridan vismods) and an additional 10 BMP's (M113 vismods).

It was a GREAT DAY to go down blazing Mr. Green ..... Unfortunately I long since lost the 'Starwars' AAR 'Snapshot' showing my tanks activities that day.

Don

#32: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #2 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:38 pm
    ----
Dontos,
Ahh, been there, sometimes when everything seems to go bad you end up being at the right place at the right time, now you gotta hope you can take advantage of it. Nothing like a good Key Hole position to take out those God-less OPFOR hoards. Like shooting clay pigeons, they keep heading towards their objective like lemmings towards a cliff. You keep popping them and hoping they don't find you/Hind gets you/ or indirect, the magic bullet, stops your fun. Nothing sadder than seeing a crew in that position and their MILES is not boresighted/inop. Whole lotta bangs but no effect.

Joe D

#33: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #2 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:09 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Dontos,
Ahh, been there, sometimes when everything seems to go bad you end up being at the right place at the right time, now you gotta hope you can take advantage of it. Nothing like a good Key Hole position to take out those God-less OPFOR hoards. Like shooting clay pigeons, they keep heading towards their objective like lemmings towards a cliff. You keep popping them and hoping they don't find you/Hind gets you/ or indirect, the magic bullet, stops your fun. Nothing sadder than seeing a crew in that position and their MILES is not boresighted/inop. Whole lotta bangs but no effect.

Joe D

We did that day.

We were a 3 man crew ( C 21....LT as TC, no help there..!) Fired all hoffmans, and OC sayed to reload, use Smoke generator, or LT Fire his .50. Smoke Generator malfunctioned, so LT popped off a burst when ever I gave him the 'On the Way'. He eventually ran out of ammo.

OC said 'no ghost kills' or 'stealth kills'. We fell back in wadi, I bailed out with fist full of wires (w unwrapped Hoffmans dangling), shoved in, plugged in, and fought on. Did this 3 times, until on the fourth reload, 2 BMPS came flying into 'my' wadi, nearly broadsiding my tank, OC did a God Gun Kill....

All the kills were 'key hole' and they were all stacked up at the end of the wadi....DIE GOD-LESS OPFOR SCUM!!! Mr. Green

Ahhh the memories
Don

#34: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #2 Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:36 pm
    ----
love the new avatar Don
Jeff Lewis

#35: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #2 Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:54 pm
    ----
Ahhhhhhhh, Ft. Polk, Lousyana. Right smack dab in the middle of the Kisatchie National Forest. Did my Basic Infantry Training there back when the U.S. Army was using muzzle-loaders. Saw my first Army helicopter there. Sikorsky H-19. Thought it was marvelous. Had no thought it really belonged in a museum. Later in life I was to fly the thing for some 500 hours total. Then I became convinced it belonged in a museum. Ahhhhhhhh.

Thanks for the memories, Dontos! Laughing

-> AFV News Discussion Board