Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #3
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #3 Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:34 pm
    ----
Here's the third installment since I've received no bricks thus far. Laughing

#2: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #3 Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:32 pm
    ----
Nit Pic Twisted Evil I don't think the 110 was a "Howitzer". Seems like it was called a "Field Gun" or something like that.

#3: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #3 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:44 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
Nit Pic Twisted Evil I don't think the 110 was a "Howitzer". Seems like it was called a "Field Gun" or something like that.

When I heard those arty guys make a distinction (other than "gun"), I heard them refer to the 8 incher as a "howitzer" and the 175 as a "rifle".

#4: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #3 Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:57 pm
    ----
Hey,

if you want to build a house, get your bricks elsewhere. Laughing

Thanks Bob, another load of usually neglected vehicles, can't wait for the next installment.

Mark, the 8-incher M110 was designated a self-propelled howitzer, the 175mm M107 was the self-propelled gun. Cool

So, what the heck is an "improver" road? And isn't it quaint to read the term track-laying vehicle? Wink

#5: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #3 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:07 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
Hey,

isn't it quaint to read the term track-laying vehicle? Wink

Document Type and Number:United States Patent 4739849 Link to this page:http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4739849.html

Abstract: "A track-laying vehicle of the type which has an engine, transmission, operators cabin, running wheels and tracks which extend around the running wheels, has a compound support structure consisting of a torsionally rigid, generally planar rectangular chassis frame which carries the engine, the transmission and the operator's cabin. The running wheels and tracks, by contrast, are mounted upon a wheel-carrying frame and is substantially coextensive with an underside thereof. The wheel-carrying frame is torsionally compliant and is connected to the chassis frame by a plurality of elastic journals."

Laughing

#6: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #3 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:27 pm
    ----
The only way you'll get bricks from this crew is if you tell them you have pictures you WON'T post Twisted Evil

#7: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #3 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:38 pm
    ----
I would have thought someone would have pointed out that the 'M110' is, in fact, an M110A2...

Cool

#8: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #3 Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:41 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner

Mark, the 8-incher M110 was designated a self-propelled howitzer, the 175mm M107 was the self-propelled gun. Cool

Thanks! I had them confused.

#9: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #3 Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:06 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
I would have thought someone would have pointed out that the 'M110' is, in fact, an M110A2...

Cool

I've got a hunch those M548s aren't without an additional designator either... Cool

#10: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #3 Author: binder001 PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:10 pm
    ----
'nother nitpick;

The "M7B1" is actually an M7B2 - note the raised howitzer mount (for increased elevation) and extra deep "pulpit" for the MG ring.

The vehicle started life as an M7B1 but was rebuilt.

Gary

#11: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #3 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:20 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
- JimWeb

Cool

I've got a hunch those M548s aren't without an additional designator either... Cool

Can't tell because of that noticeboard...

Cool

#12: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #3 Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:48 am
    ----
- binder001
'nother nitpick;

The "M7B1" is actually an M7B2 - note the raised howitzer mount (for increased elevation) and extra deep "pulpit" for the MG ring.

The vehicle started life as an M7B1 but was rebuilt.

Gary

Yep,

it certainly is. Speaking of which, does anybody have an inkling how long they were in service with the NG and/or the Reserves? Were the ones Germany received in 1956 pulled from stocks or were they just being mustered out and came from NG/Reserve units?

Inquiring minds want to know... Wink

#13: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #3 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:24 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

- MarkHolloway

For My 2 cents, I am a bit confuzed here because I am not sure everyone is talking about the same M110.

M110A0 and M110A1 8 inch howitzer, the first two versions which had a short barrel. Later replaced by the M110A2.

M107A0 and M107A1 175mm field gun which was replaced by the M110A2.

M110A2, the two vehicles in Bob (A109)'s photos, the combined howizter/field gun, which was a 8 inch/203mm bore with the length of a field gun so it could do both types of fires missions from the same hull.

Along with Mark, I remember red legs calling the "A2" version a field gun also.

So, for you folks who have copies of the manuels on that thing, is the correct name for the "A2" still "howitzer" or did it change when the short howitzer barrel was replaced by the longer barrel?

This old scout is confuzed. Shocked
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#14: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #3 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:12 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle

M110A0 and M110A1 8 inch howitzer, the first two versions which had a short barrel. Later replaced by the M110A2.

M110 short barrel
M110A1 long barrel
M110A2 long barrel with muzzle brake

M107A0 and M107A1 175mm field gun which was replaced by the M110A2.

Basically all they did was replace the barrels. IIRC M107 were, initially, upgraded to M110A1 and M110 - M110A2. Eventually they all became M110A2

M110A2, the two vehicles in Bob (A109)'s photos, the combined howizter/field gun, which was a 8 inch/203mm bore with the length of a field gun so it could do both types of fires missions from the same hull.

As a rule of thumb guns used to fire between 0-45 degrees and howitzers 45 -90 degrees. The distinction between them became blurred in the 70s when both types, basically, acquired a larger variety of bag charges and became capable of firing at any angle

Cool .

#15: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #3 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:29 am
    ----
Hi Jim! Hi Folks!

- JimWeb

The distinction between them became blurred in the 70s when both types, basically, acquired a larger variety of bag charges and became capable of firing at any angle

Cool .

Very true, and don't even start talking about modern mortars.

However, that still doesn't answer my question:

"Along with Mark, I remember red legs calling the "A2" version a field gun also.

So, for you folks who have copies of the manuels on that thing, is the correct name for the "A2" still "howitzer" or did it change when the short howitzer barrel was replaced by the longer barrel (which had the muzzle brake added)?"

Still confuzed!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board