Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #7
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #7 Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:54 am
    ----
These shots were all taken at the FSMM's restoration shop facility where there was a great deal of activity the day I was there. The museum participated in the Minnesota Military Expo this year and plans to do so on an annual basis from now on. An exciting event worth the trip to see.
www.mnmilitaryexpo.com/

A forklift holds the towbar up for connection to the "tug".

The rubber-tired tug tows the M41 back to the display area.

The FSMM's 5-bay restoration shop with various projects in progress.

A Dodge M37 in restoration.

A Continental R-975 for the M4 in the next bay.

M4 pieces....

...for this Sherman.

One of the crown jewels in the FSMM collection: an operational M5A1 Stuart receiving new brake bands.

The controlled differential gets a cleaning.

Interior views illustrating a thorough ground-up restoration.

#2: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #7 Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:12 pm
    ----
Thanks for the great pictures. Looks like the staff there really does a great job at fixing these old warriors.

#3: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #7 Author: binder001 PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:13 pm
    ----
First, thank you very much for posting these great photos! I didn't appreciate that there was such an active facility up there.

The latest batch are quite good. Is that M41 a runner? I always liked those tanks. I'm also interested to see them restoring an M4A1 76W HVSS ("M4A1E8"). Another tank of personal interest as we have several on display in NE and I got to climb on some as a kid (OK, and as an adult, too).

That's a pretty good facility they have available - I'm very glad to see that. I also think it's great that they have grabbed a bunch of trucks for restoration and for parts donors. That place looks like Jaques Littlefield's back yard!

I hope they can keep a couple of the M60 types running for future generations. Now is the time to grab up remaining engines, tracks, etc. Plus with their connections I hope they can at least keep an M60A1 or A3 in good exterior condition - with the phone box, grenade launchers, grenade boxes, wind sensor and other stuff that gets torn off during demilitarization.

Gary

#4: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #7 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:49 pm
    ----
Hi Bob (A109)! Hi Folks!

Super bunch of photos!!!!!!

Thank you very much for taking all the trouble to take and post them.

And thanks to all of you who also take the time and trouble to take and post your photos also. It's like traving the world without having to leave my home.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #7 Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:21 pm
    ----
- binder001
Is that M41 a runner?
Gary

Yep, sure is, Gary. I believe the battery was dead when I was there and it had to be towed as a consequence. See: www.fsmm.org

#6: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #7 Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:39 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle

Well, I've been crusing all the back issues of "The Glue", Roy, and there's a super bunch of photos there of some very nice armor models by one Roy Lingle which I've enjoyed looking at.

Tit for tat. Laughing

#7: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #7 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:22 pm
    ----
- A-109E
- Roy_A_Lingle

Well, I've been crusing all the back issues of "The Glue", Roy, and there's a super bunch of photos there of some very nice armor models by one Roy Lingle which I've enjoyed looking at.

Tit for tat. Laughing

Maybe Roy would grace us with a few pics here since we can't all get that publication! *hint, hint* Wink

#8: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #7 Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:54 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

Maybe Roy would grace us with a few pics here since we can't all get that publication! *hint, hint* Wink

Ah, but you can, grasshopper: www.ipmselpaso.us/news.htm

#9: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #7 Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:55 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- A-109E
- Roy_A_Lingle

Tit for tat. Laughing

Bob's models aren't too shabby, either, but he's a modest man. He also works miracles on Franklin Mint M4s... Wink Smile

#10: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #7 Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:07 pm
    ----
Thanks again, Bob,

another set of spectacular photos, and finally the M41, which seems to hold a special place in many curmudgeon's hearts.

#11: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #7 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:17 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

- A-109E
- Doug_Kibbey

Ah, but you can, grasshopper: www.ipmselpaso.us/news.htm

Thanks Bob (A109)!

I would post the AFV photos but I have never figured out how to copy or save a picture that is part of an Adobe document. Sad

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#12: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #7 Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:50 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

Thanks Bob (A109)!

I would post the AFV photos but I have never figured out how to copy or save a picture that is part of an Adobe document. Sad

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

Unless you have the full version of Acrobat, you can make a screenshot with the print button, paste into your favorite picture software, trim, save as .jpg et voilá- pictures.

Give me the issues your models are in and I'll see what I can come up with.

Why is the name Gustav Hebrok so familiar? Apart from him, there are a few other well-known modelers in El Paso- must be some kind of magnet... Wink

#13: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #7 Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:42 am
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
Thanks again, Bob,

another set of spectacular photos, and finally the M41, which seems to hold a special place in many curmudgeon's hearts.

You're more than welcome, Jens; glad you enjoyed them. Razz

- Jens_O_Mehner
Bob's models aren't too shabby, either, but he's a modest man. He also works miracles on Franklin Mint M4s...

Now, how would you know about that, Jens? Wink

#14: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #7 Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:46 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

Jens offers excellent advice on converting photos, Roy. Here's what I did:
1. Open up "The Glue" Adobe pdf document.
2. Left click on the photo I want in order to highlight it.
3. Right click to 'copy image'.
4. Open up Microsoft Office Picture Manager, paste the photo here to edit it.
5. Save the image to the desktop. (It'll be in bitmap format)
6. Open the bitmap image on the desktop, right click and select 'edit'. This opens the bitmap in Microsoft Paint program. In the 'file' pull-down menu select 'save as', then select 'jpeg'.
7. You're done!

#15: Re: Ft. Snelling Military Museum - Pics #7 Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:43 pm
    ----
- A-109E
- Jens_O_Mehner
Bob's models aren't too shabby, either, but he's a modest man. He also works miracles on Franklin Mint M4s...

Now, how would you know about that, Jens? Wink

Oh, we both travel in exclusive circles, Bob. Laughing Plus, we share an acquaintance, although I only know our recently promoted Sergeant and builder of officer material in a virtual way.

Last edited by Jens_O_Mehner on Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

-> AFV News Discussion Board