Report from Ordnance Museum trip
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:02 pm
    ----
Well, since nobody commented on the position of the road wheels, I will: Why they displayed them up on the center guides like that is anybody's guess...but what Bob and I really talked about, and I don't know is a feature of any of the other MBT-70 prototypes, is the exposed hydraulic lines in the suspension. I mean, small, vulnerable lines that wouldn't survive a day of typical operation in the real world of tanking. You can't see them well in this small view, but they're there. Some of them coil. These are the size of brake lines in your car. Bob speculated that they might have been for test equipment or would have been internalized in the production version (or covered with armor if external)....they certainly would have had to have been. Does anybody know for sure what's up with those?

#17: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:45 pm
    ----
I think even the large actuator cylinders for the HydroPneumatic suspension (Which are visiblebehind each suspension arm) would be vulnerable and should be behind armor plate. Now whether that plate would be between the hull and the roadwheels or as skirts outside the roadwheels (or some combination) would be speculation withoutmore information

#18: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:19 pm
    ----
T3 Christie without the funny green tint and German snubby SP.

#19: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:44 pm
    ----
Bob and I arrived early and before the (blistering) heat, we were blessed with some fog and attendant soft light. Who doesn't love an M24 and M10....?

#20: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:21 pm
    ----
Very Nice,

Doug, I agree, I need to see APG and hope I can do it with one of these CIA gatherings. I just don't see it hapening for a little while.

About that "Snubby German TD". Is the track on backward???? I know if it was T97 (M60 track) or T156 (M1 track) the chevrons would be the other way. Unless the Germans subscribe to a differerent school of thought on track. Maybe Jens could comment.

Joe D

#21: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:01 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Very Nice,

Doug, I agree, I need to see APG and hope I can do it with one of these CIA gatherings. I just don't see it hapening for a little while.

About that "Snubby German TD". Is the track on backward???? I know if it was T97 (M60 track) or T156 (M1 track) the chevrons would be the other way. Unless the Germans subscribe to a differerent school of thought on track. Maybe Jens could comment.

Joe D

Joe,
'Dunno 'bout those tracks...gotta' refer to Jens or someone who knows the type...certainly not me!

M42 and Priest...

#22: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:16 am
    ----
Stuart & PzIII

#23: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:39 am
    ----
Yes,

the tracks on the JgPz Kanone are on backwards, and the barrel on the M10 is certainly not an original one, either. Cool

#24: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:01 am
    ----
The M10 was an ex Italian Army vehicle. The Italians shortened the barrel because of it's use in narrow streets . The collar on it is a counterweight to make up for the missing weight.

#25: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:08 am
    ----
- bsmart
The M10 was an ex Italian Army vehicle. The Italians shortened the barrel because of it's use in narrow streets . The collar on it is a counterweight to make up for the missing weight.

Thanks,

that explains it nicely, Bob.

#26: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:09 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Well, since nobody commented on the position of the road wheels, I will: Why they displayed them up on the center guides like that is anybody's guess...but what Bob and I really talked about, and I don't know is a feature of any of the other MBT-70 prototypes, is the exposed hydraulic lines in the suspension. I mean, small, vulnerable lines that wouldn't survive a day of typical operation in the real world of tanking. You can't see them well in this small view, but they're there. Some of them coil. These are the size of brake lines in your car. Bob speculated that they might have been for test equipment or would have been internalized in the production version (or covered with armor if external)....they certainly would have had to have been. Does anybody know for sure what's up with those?

Doug

This is an early test bed vehicle. Typically the developer will 'fudge' on non-essential internalization due to access when ( or if) main items need to be modified.

The small lines are on the LST buildings MBT 70, Pilot 6. I'm not sure if they are present on the # 4 pilot. Guess I'll have to check that out....

Don

#27: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:38 pm
    ----
More "rusting vehicles" from Aberdeen....

#28: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:49 pm
    ----
Even more examples of rusting vehicles....

#29: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:07 pm
    ----
You may have noted - or Bob probably pointed out - that the Sherman has an experimental HVSS suspension.. The M2 Medium has an M2A1 turret, and the Leo 1 is also a prototype.

Neil

#30: Re: Report from Ordnance Museum trip Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:12 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
You may have noted - or Bob probably pointed out - that the Sherman has an experimental HVSS suspension.. The M2 Medium has an M2A1 turret, and the Leo 1 is also a prototype.

Neil

Yep, I'm just being lazy with my filenames and snide in my posting, for reasons that are probably obvious. Wink

(Didn't know about the Leopard being a prototype, though)

-> AFV News Discussion Board