JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2)
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#76: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:48 am
    ----
Well Done

Jeff Lewis

#77: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:33 pm
    ----
Hello everyone,

While I was home this weekend I went through my references to answer how to tell the difference between a former M48A5 hull and the rest. The information below might help a little.

M48A5's with the low profile cupola serial numbers ran from A1001 to A1999 and from A3375 to A3999

M48A5's with the .50 Cal M1 cupola serial numbers ran from A3001 to 3374

To the best of my knowledge the numbers were stamped in the same locations as the M60 series, Left front tow eye and left rear deck. Hopefully I will have some detailed pictures of an M48A5 in the next few days.

That doesn't mean they wouldn't re-stamp it with a different number if it was used for something else but based on how they retained the M60A2 Hull numbers when they rebuilt them to AVLB's you can't rule this out.

Joe D

#78: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:51 pm
    ----
Joe D, do only A5s have A-numbers?

Neil

#79: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:43 pm
    ----
Neil,

I really don't know. I believe the A5's were all made at Anniston that's why the "A". I only have references on A5's because they basically are "Wanna-Be" M60's, sharing many features and parts.

Joe D

#80: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:42 pm
    ----
Hello everyone,

I got to check out this beast in person last week. It is a cobbled up thing using a production M60A2 turret with an upgraded M48A1 Hull, Serial Number 5934, stamped on the right front hull next to where the Headlights were.
Larger Image>ComCentral

This picture shows where someone had covered the turret opening with green tape all along the race ring leading me to believe this hull sat a while without a turret
Larger Image>ComCentral

This box welded to the front is the hydraulic manifold for the M8 Dozer kit installed on M48 tanks.
Larger Image>ComCentral

The lines ran along the top right of the tank hull, not underneath like the M9 kit for the M60. Here are the modified outrigger brackets allowing for the lines.
Larger Image>ComCentral

These are the mounting bosses for the armored cover and lines that ran to the manifold.
Larger Image>ComCentral

The turret on this tank is sorta a Red Herring, I am wondering if this hull was used for some engineer trails using the M8 hydraulics to test some thing else like an early roller system for Vietnam. The cut tow eyes were modified with newer holes blow torched further back, I doubt if the M8 dozer kit would require that.

Larger Image>ComCentral

Who Knows ???

Joe D

#81: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:46 pm
    ----
Excellent work Joe, that's why you'll get the big Com-Central/AFV Forum bonus this year!* Wink

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

#82: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:41 pm
    ----
And when can expect it?? Before Christmas I hope Mr. Green , whatever it may be.

Joe D

#83: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:41 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Excellent work Joe, that's why you'll get the big Com-Central/AFV Forum bonus this year! Wink

NOT FAIR!!! FOUL!!! Sad

Mr. Green

#84: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:47 pm
    ----
- Dontos
- Doug_Kibbey
Excellent work Joe, that's why you'll get the big Com-Central/AFV Forum bonus this year! Wink

NOT FAIR!!! FOUL!!! Sad

Mr. Green

Don't worry I'll put you in for the bonus also

#85: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:53 pm
    ----
]*C-C bonus's payable in CSA script or Parker Bros. Monopoly Money, except in any form where prohibited by state law, including Tennesseee, should designated recipient be residing permanently, temprarily, or just passing through.

#86: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:00 pm
    ----
Stumped again Mad Mad Mad

Joe D

#87: Re: JoeD's Frankenstein (M48A5/M60A2) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:28 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
]*C-C bonus's payable in CSA script or Parker Bros. Monopoly Money, except in any form where prohibited by state law, including Tennesseee, should designated recipient be residing permanently, temprarily, or just passing through.

NOW THATS SOME 'FINE PRINT!!!!

But I'd like to be paid in 'Confederate Script' .

Cool

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board