"Going Commando"
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#1: "Going Commando" Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:18 am
    ----
No Shades, I ain't talking about you! Laughing Got a question for you guys that have been there, done that. How did "Going Commando" come to mean going without underwear? This question came up on another forum and I figured you guys may know.

to all.

#2: Re: "Going Commando" Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:28 am
    ----
I can't account for the term particularly, but jungle rot could definitely be an issue in Vietnam if you humped in the boonies and I resorted to this as a partial solution from time-to-time (the other was making a paste of the three anti-fungal agents the medics/flight surgeon in our Air Cav Sqdn. supplied, since none of them individually did the trick. I mixed all three in a 35mm film canister and carried for topical application...that worked!)

#3: Re: "Going Commando" Author: RAF92_MoserLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:53 am
    ----
It's also known as "Free-Balling" and "Going Bandit".

It's what we all feared in cross country.

#4: Re: "Going Commando" Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:58 am
    ----
Hi Tank Lord! Hi Folks!

- Tanklord

How did "Going Commando" come to mean going without underwear? This question came up on another forum and I figured you guys may know.
to all.

I think that may have come from a line spoken by Joey on the old TV series "Friends".

He said something like I am 'Going Commando' and one of his buddies asked him what did that mean. At which point he explained it as 'no underwear'.

One of many possibles I'm sure. It would not surpise me if the writers got the idea from a Vietnam vet. When you are out in the field and can not take a shower or bath at the end of a day, underwear becomes a major comfort problem real quick.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: "Going Commando" Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:39 pm
    ----
Well yer all wrong.... the term "going commando" originated with the Shadow Squad, specifically Shadow_Bshwhackr and Shadow_Homifixer. Way back in the old day's of CFS1 those two fearless combat pilots took the meaning of "Kiltin" to a new level. It all started at Bushies Sheep's Pen where after many bottles of stolen 401RCAF Ram Ale and a few keg's of Euro's dark lager were consumed that the 2 pilots turned they're eye's towards the sheep stalls. One thing led to another and the 2 fearless pilots soon discoverd a problem... they both walked up to a sheep, lifted they're kilts and grabbed hold of a sheep each, they then had to let go of the sheep to drop the pink panties they were wearing but then both sheep ran away. Again they tried it, but both sheep ran away again. Then Bushie got an idea..if we lose the pink panties before we grab the sheep then we can hold our kilts with one hand and the sheep with the other..from that day on they both went "pink Pantiless" and hence invented the form of attire known as "commando" Mr. Green

#6: Re: "Going Commando" Author: Chuck_71st PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:27 pm
    ----
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...g_commando

#7: Re: "Going Commando" Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:38 pm
    ----
OH NOOO Hitman you got it wrong also buddy!! You musta had too much of that ale that night because that was Shades and Trigger dressed up like Shadow so they could get in Bushy's Sheep Pen and drink the stolen Ale and Lager. We never lost our pink panties.... .

#8: Re: "Going Commando" Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:00 am
    ----
Well it looks like this may not be resolved until someone tries it and gives a full report. Someone has to do it. Since this is the last day of my trip I might as well give it a run....the final day of testing around our equipment with all the moving parts and belts and stuff will be dangerous, but the wrap-up meeting and flight home should be interesting....

I'm goin' in!!!

#9: Re: "Going Commando" Author: A1Trigger_HappyLocation: Alabama, USA PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:44 am
    ----
WOHA!!! FELLA!! if i recall that night correct the only ones dressed like sheep were CB and Foont.... Twisted Evil

#10: Re: "Going Commando" Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:26 pm
    ----
lol Twiggy.
We try and keep the unsavoury's out of C-C chat.
Here they are but a distant memory.

Wink

#11: Re: "Going Commando" Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:28 pm
    ----
I've been flying without undies for years...

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

#12: Re: "Going Commando" Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:54 pm
    ----
ewwwwww

#13: Re: "Going Commando" Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:48 am
    ----
I wear undies but it's damned uncomfortable.
Imagine having a bushy tail, as long as you are, and stuffing it into the back of your underpants.
Then imagine it twitching all day long as well.
You know what?
I'm going commando!

#14: Re: "Going Commando" Author: Chuck_71st PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:20 am
    ----
Well I dont know about you bunch of girly men.....but I wear briefs cuz Dangit! I need the support! Cool

#15: Re: "Going Commando" Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:57 am
    ----
- Chuck_71st
Well I dont know about you bunch of girly men.....but I wear briefs cuz Dangit! I need the support! Cool

ROFLMAO...

And..... I heard that Hitman!....lol

-> Officer's Club