Spell Check (Off Topic)
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Spell Check (Off Topic) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:30 pm
    ----
Find the spelling error Rolling Eyes

#2: Re: Spell Check (Off Topic) Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:45 pm
    ----
I think it should be "Material" instead of "Materiel" Must have been an officer who spelled it out... Rolling Eyes oops, I was an officer Wink !

#3: Re: Spell Check (Off Topic) Author: Buq-Buq PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:50 pm
    ----
Mark:

I was initially going to say that 'materiel' was misspelled, but upon looking it up:

dictionary.reference.c...e/materiel

quote:

"ma·té·ri·el [muh-teer-ee-el] Pronunciation Key –noun
the aggregate of things used or needed in any business, undertaking, or operation (distinguished from personnel).
Military. arms, ammunition, and equipment in general.
Also, ma·te·ri·el."

. . . I changed my mind.

Mark

#4: Re: Spell Check (Off Topic) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:51 pm
    ----
Negative...it's U.S. Army Materiel Command. I used to work for them at the Armor Board. They use the French derived spelling which is a sort of plural form. In this context, materiel is correct. Wore that patch. Wink

www.army.mil/instituti...cture/amc/

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: Spell Check (Off Topic) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:51 pm
    ----
Well I thought I found it but after checking found I was wrong.

I thought 'Materiel' was wrong but it is correct

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materiel

www.army.mil/instituti...cture/amc/

So I don't think there is a spelling error

#6: Re: Spell Check (Off Topic) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:34 pm
    ----
I don't know about Buq-Buq. But the two ex enlisted troops got it right and the former officer got it wrong. And to think I washed out of Air Force OTS because of bad spelling and grammar. Rolling Eyes

#7: Re: Spell Check (Off Topic) Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:48 pm
    ----
Laughing Laughing Okay, you guys got me. I to conclusions. Hell, I was a tanker, didn't need to worry about no stinkin spelling, just give me beans, bullets, and benzene! Razz

#8: Re: Spell Check (Off Topic) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:48 pm
    ----
- bsmart
I don't know about Buq-Buq. But the two ex enlisted troops got it right and the former officer got it wrong. And to think I washed out of Air Force OTS because of bad spelling and grammar. Rolling Eyes

I probably have an unfair advantage. Wink

#9: Re: Spell Check (Off Topic) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:40 pm
    ----
Thanks everyone! Now I feel like an idiot! On Monday the guy who told me about this 'error' will feel like one too!

#10: Re: Spell Check (Off Topic) Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:47 pm
    ----
Y'all wanna check spelling try this: -

Oxford Dictionary website

www.askoxford.com/

Webster's Dictionary (for you Colonial chappies! Mr. Green )

www.websters-online-dictionary.org/

One need never be embarrassed agin like what I is frequently!!! Laughing

Regards,

BUG

#11: Re: Spell Check (Off Topic) Author: Buq-Buq PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:53 am
    ----
Bob:

You can add me to that list. I was enlisted too.

Wink

Mark

#12: Re: Spell Check (Off Topic) Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:24 am
    ----
I didn't get that far. I thought it was TOOELE that was misspelled. Confused

#13: Re: Spell Check (Off Topic) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:20 am
    ----
Nobody seems to know what it means but it's (roughly) pronounced
"Two-'ella".

#14: Re: Spell Check (Off Topic) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:22 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
Nobody seems to know what it means but it's (roughly) pronounced
"Two-'ella".

"Tooele County: The exact origin of the name is unknown, though many believe that the name Tooele is from an Indian Chief named Tuilla."

History of Utah County Names

I used to go shooting out there a lot when I worked at the Univerity Hospital. Used to see AH-1 Cobras work out from time to time around Skull Valley.

-> AFV News Discussion Board