Sherman up for auction?....
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Sherman up for auction?.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:10 pm
    ----
The following arrived in my e-mail from another site I checked out long ago before devoting my attention here full time. Thought some of you might find it interesting.

It looks like the French museum, Musée de la Poche de Royan 1944/1945 , closed it's doors on September 30, 2007. Amongst all of the items going to auction is a Sherman. Looking at the few pictures I could find I think it is a M4A1 with the cast rounded hull.

Pictures can be found at:
www.monde-magouilles.c...eroyan.php
www.monde-magouilles.c...dex02.html

and the auction company that is selling the entire museum is:
www.hermann-historica.com/

Looks like the auction might be in April, 2008.

#2: Re: Sherman up for auction?.... Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:52 pm
    ----
Yes, it is a M4A1(76) named "Osthouse" (French village in Eastern France). From the few info I got in 10 minutes, it seems that this particular tank that was exposed at the Musée de la poche de Royan was found under a road, and was identified as being the Osthouse, hit in April 1945 in the area. Hovever, there are several differences between the original M4A1 Osthouse and this tank :

http://www.chars-francais.net/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1016

I got the chance to visit this museum in 2002, it has a high quality collection and I'm very angry that it will be closed and the collection sold and seperated. That was really a great museum to visit with rare items.

Pierre-Olivier

#3: Re: Sherman up for auction?.... Author: clausb PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:58 am
    ----
- the_shadock
I got the chance to visit this museum in 2002, it has a high quality collection and I'm very angry that it will be closed and the collection sold and seperated. That was really a great museum to visit with rare items.

Can you tell us why the museum closed? (my french is rather crappy!)

cbo

#4: Re: Sherman up for auction?.... Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:28 pm
    ----
The reason(s) why the museum is for sale is/are not clearly explained in the documents..

Pierre-Olivier

-> AFV News Discussion Board