Saumur Carousel #5 - M4 Shermans
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Saumur Carousel #5 - M4 Shermans Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:59 pm
    ----
M4(75) Sherman

M4A1(76) Sherman

Neil

#2: Re: Saumur Carousel #5 - M4 Shermans Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:44 pm
    ----
Very nice. What are those attached to the underneath of the folded shelf on the rear of M4A1(76) in the last photo?

They look like the main gun cleaning rods maybe? Never seen them before.

#3: Re: Saumur Carousel PzKpfw II & M4 Sherman Author: A2_Prius PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:33 pm
    ----
Were the wires trailing from the PzKpfw II's 20mm and the M4's 75mm barrels used to set off pyrotechnics that simulated cannon fire, or what?

#4: Re: Saumur Carousel #5 - M4 Shermans Author: panzerbuff PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:53 pm
    ----
the colors on the panther and the color and insignia of the guards division sherman look a bit off. nice vehicles but they could try to use realistic paint.

#5: Re: Saumur Carousel #5 - M4 Shermans Author: claude_GILLONO PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:56 pm
    ----
- JeffStringer
Very nice. What are those attached to the underneath of the folded shelf on the rear of M4A1(76) in the last photo?

They look like the main gun cleaning rods maybe? Never seen them before.

That's it!
This was their new location when the folding luggage rack was fitted on these late production Shermies.
HTH

#6: Re: Saumur Carousel #5 - M4 Shermans Author: claude_GILLONO PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:58 pm
    ----
Montmirail is a M4A2
The original tank was one of the 3 that reached the Hôtel de Ville late on 24 August 1944 as a vanguard of the Leclerc's 2e DB.
HTH

#7: Re: Saumur Carousel #5 - M4 Shermans Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:56 pm
    ----
- claude_GILLONO
The original tank was one of the 3 that reached the Hôtel de Ville late on 24 August 1944 as a vanguard of the Leclerc's 2e DB.
HTH

You mean Paris Hôtel de Ville (city hall), of course

Pierre-Olivier

#8: Re: Saumur Carousel #5 - M4 Shermans Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:01 pm
    ----
The M4A1(76) "Ballyména" from the Guards is privately owned by André Lechipey. It was previously (and curiously) painted in battleship grey (or a similar color). Does anybody know why??
Here is a photo of the same tank that I took several years ago :

#9: Re: Saumur Carousel #5 - M4 Shermans Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:11 pm
    ----
Hello Pierre-Olivier,
Do you know if M4 with s/n 420-610 is a tank from the Saumur museum?

Regards,
Lesley

#10: Re: Saumur Carousel #5 - M4 Shermans Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:21 pm
    ----
I'm not P-O, but the tank you speak of (thats an RN not an SN) is the first tank pictured above.

Neil

#11: Re: Saumur Carousel #5 - M4 Shermans Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:18 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
I'm not P-O, but the tank you speak of (thats an RN not an SN) is the first tank pictured above.

Neil

I think that Lesley was asking if the first tank pictured above comes from Saumur. And I think that the answer is yes, but I can't swear it.

P-O

#12: Re: Saumur Carousel #5 - M4 Shermans Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:16 pm
    ----
Hi Shadock! Hi Folks!

- the_shadock
The M4A1(76) "Ballyména" from the Guards is privately owned by André Lechipey. It was previously (and curiously) painted in battleship grey (or a similar color). Does anybody know why??

A few years ago I did some research on the Guards Armored Division for a model I wanted to do. I learned that the tank battalions at the start of WW II were infantry units and had been coverted to tanks during the war. At the end of the war they converted back into infantry battalions. The unit's tanks were cleaned up and repainted for the "turn in of tanks and return to infantry" ceremony which was done somewhere in Northern Germany. The units did a mounted pass in review with the tanks, then drove over a ridge line and out of sight of the parade field, dismounted from the AFVs, reformed into an infantry formation and marched back onto the parade field for a pass in review as infantry. For some reason the paint used was captured stocks of German Navy Gray (Battleship Gray?). Might have been a major case of "REPAINT those beat up vehicles for a parade and the only paint they could find was German gray.

Maybe the owner was trying to show the vehicle as it might have looked for that ceremony.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#13: Re: Saumur Carousel #5 - M4 Shermans Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:48 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Neil

I know, but I couldn't find the r/n in my list of Suamur so I was wondering if this also was a privatly owned vehicle

Thank you both!

Regards,
Lesley

-> AFV News Discussion Board