Fort Douglas, Utah Museum
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Fort Douglas, Utah Museum Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:52 pm
    ----
I went to Fort Douglas (Salt Lake City) early this morning. The museum is closed Sundays Crying or Very sad and all of the vehicles are in a fenced area Crying or Very sad and to make matters worse I got there before the sun was up Evil or Very Mad Anyway, I'll be going back next weekend.

NEIL: There is an M551 there. Reg # 13E 667. There is also an M110 8" Howitzer. I can also confirm the M901, M47, M48 & M60A0. Below is a picture of the M48. Is it an A2?

#2: Re: Fort Douglas, Utah Museum Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:18 pm
    ----
Neil: Just learned the M4 is off display for restoration work.

#3: Re: Fort Douglas, Utah Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:13 pm
    ----
Did you also spot the composite hull Sherman there?

Neil

#4: Re: Fort Douglas, Utah Museum Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:22 pm
    ----
Neil I'm not sure what 'composite' is but the museum's webmaster e-mailed me that the M4 was being restored. I'll find out a lot more next weekend

#5: Re: Fort Douglas, Utah Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:37 pm
    ----
A composite hull Sherman has the cast front from an M4A1 and the welded rear end from an M4. You can read a little more at
www.modelgeeks.com/Uwe...te-Sherman

I count only six known examples in the US, which makes them fairly rare...

Neil

#6: Re: Fort Douglas, Utah Museum Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:47 pm
    ----
I'll find out!

#7: Re: Fort Douglas, Utah Museum Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:18 pm
    ----
Mark,

The M48 is an A1 model from what I can see. M1 cupola and earlier rear deck (No low IR rear grill doors). Looks cold up there, glad I'm in Arkansas. If you can, get some pictures of the hull/engine area. Looks like the deck is removed. I'm sure some might appreciate them, me included. Unless it's full of snow Confused .

Joe D

#8: Re: Fort Douglas, Utah Museum Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:38 pm
    ----
Joe, I plan to 'burn some film' next weekend. It looked like the M47 and M48A1 engines were both sitting on the ground there. There's an M60A0 there too.

#9: Re: Fort Douglas, Utah Museum Author: binder001 PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:53 pm
    ----
I was able to see the Ft.Douglas museum in the summer of 2004. Nice place! I was impressed by the collection.

When I was there I did a photo workup of the M4 composite. It looked to be an old range wreck, so I'm glad it's getting some work. Parts of the engine deck were loose (but most of the engine was present). It is a nice example of the "large hatch" M4 with cast front on the upper hull (Detroit Tank Arsenal?). Sorry I didn't find a serial number on, but I didn't look in every nook or cranny.

I wonder if the M4 went over to that outfit in Toole that restored some other armor? They were featured on an episode of "Tank Overhaul" about the M18 76mm GMC.

The Ft. Douglas was also one of the few displays to have the M110A2 displayed with an M548 ammo carrier. They also have a PAK40 and a US M1903 3" field gun among others.

Gary

#10: Re: Fort Douglas, Utah Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:39 pm
    ----
All composite hull Shermans were done by DTA. It was Chrysler's solution to putting large hatches onto Shermans, but Fisher was able to to figure out how to put them on welded hulls...

Neil

#11: Re: Fort Douglas, Utah Museum Author: binder001 PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:19 pm
    ----
Here is a shot from 8/2004. She seems cosmetically restorable to this untrained eye. FYI - as is common to this model, the turret has no pistol port.

Gary

#12: Re: Fort Douglas, Utah Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:34 am
    ----
Is that a fake barrel?

Neil

#13: Re: Fort Douglas, Utah Museum Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:58 pm
    ----
That barrel looks a little too long to me also.

I've never seen applique armor on the composite M4. Either that, or it's a repair job.

#14: Re: Fort Douglas, Utah Museum Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:34 pm
    ----
applique armor on the composite M4 isn't that rare, for some examples
See: users.telenet.be/M7.Pr...schaat.htm
look for Sherman nr 2, nr3, nr 13 and 15

#15: Re: Fort Douglas, Utah Museum Author: binder001 PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:24 pm
    ----
I reviewed the other shots from the batch I took of that M4. Yes, the gun tube has been cut off and replaced. The cut is right in the "ears" of the M34A1 mount's gun shield.

Gary

-> AFV News Discussion Board