Aberdeen Test
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Aberdeen Test Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:09 am
    ----
Hi everyone,

Started scanning some photo's and thought you guys would like to see these.

Larger Image>ComCentral
Larger Image>ComCentral
LargerImage>ComCentral

Pretty dramatic stuff. You can see this tank had everything on it from the load plan. Just look at the BII fly.

Joe D

#2: Re: Aberdeen Test Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:30 am
    ----
I saw those in the gallery earlier today, Joe and was going to ask what was up with that.

#3: Re: Aberdeen Test Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:46 am
    ----
Doug,

These tests were done between 2000-2001. They take a fully operational tank complete with BII and instrument it. Then they fire service rounds at it to see how well it holds up.

Joe D

#4: Re: Aberdeen Test Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:09 am
    ----
- Joe_D
Doug,

These tests were done between 2000-2001. They take a fully operational tank complete with BII and instrument it. Then they fire service rounds at it to see how well it holds up.

Joe D

I suppose it's pointless to ask about penetration...

#5: Re: Aberdeen Test Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:11 am
    ----

Mr. Green

Joe D

#6: Re: Aberdeen Test Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:52 am
    ----
Thought so... Laughing

#7: Re: Aberdeen Test Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:27 am
    ----
American service rounds were fired at it?

#8: Re: Aberdeen Test Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:10 pm
    ----
It's not always about penetration Laughing ,

It also tests other aspects of the equipment. Sensitivity to shock, fire suppression, ability to repair etc. Sometimes something little that no one considered can total a tank. Case in point the M60 hydraulic fluid. Cherry juice bad, apple good (FRH).

Hellfish, sorry. You might be able to find a public source on these tests, but I can't say one way or the other (Not that I know anything anyway).

Joe D

#9: Re: Aberdeen Test Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:58 pm
    ----
- Joe_D

Sometimes something little that no one considered can total a tank. Case in point the M60 hydraulic fluid. Cherry juice bad, apple good (FRH).
Joe D

But FRH tastes REAL bad...!!! Shocked

AOAP 'vampires' are always unavailable during that time, or they don't seem to work.

The 'ole' tried and true, manual aoap suction devise must be utilized. Transmission was always the most difficult, being the thickest liquid to manually syphon thru the damn skinny tubing....but 30w oil isn't toxic. Turboshaft was easiest, then FRH (yuck!!) Mr. Green

Regards
Don

#10: Re: Aberdeen Test Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:43 pm
    ----
Dontos,

Worst part about the FRH was I don't remember any warnings about it until the 90's.

WARNING: FRH may contain Tri-crecyl phosphate which can cause all sorts of bad things, use gloves and respirator when handling

Anyways, it sorta went like that. Who knows what we have waiting for us in our "Golden Years".

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board