M60A3
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M60A3 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:01 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

Ran acrossed this photo in the local newspaper by Cem Ozdel of the Associated Press.

I think it is an "A3" because there is a hinged cover on the right range finder blister, round type dog house, and a heat dispenser on the end of the personnel heater exhaust pipe.

Check out the track block. Looks more like the type used on Leo 2s rather that any US type.

I wonder if "Altinordu" is the crew's name for this old warhorse?
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#2: Re: M60A3 Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:13 am
    ----
Any other shots of the tanks? That camo is very different.

Still looks great!

#3: Re: M60A3 Author: Jason_Bobrowich PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:34 am
    ----
Yes, it is a Turkish M60A3.....a bunch of them were deployed by Turkey along the Turkish-Iraqi border from October to December 2007.....some Turkish troops entered Iraq as well.

The track is still the standard octagon shaped track that was in use on the U.S. M60A1s and M60A3s for years....it is not German track....however, they are mounting German produced Wegmann 76 mm multi-barrel grenade dishargers on the turret sides.

But.....the third vehicle is a Leopard 1 ARV.....so, yes it does have German tracks...haha.

There are more images of the Turkish M60A3s along the Iraqi border on Getty Images...do a search for "Turkish tank".

Last edited by Jason_Bobrowich on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total

#4: Re: M60A3 Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:01 am
    ----
altinordu - the Golden Horde.

Last edited by MarkHolloway on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: M60A3 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:31 am
    ----
I'm with Roy

That track looks a lot like T142 but the pads are too square and it's missing the metal cleat that surrounds it. Might be an "After Market" track made by some one else. As far as I know T142 is not being made anymore.

Notice the recovery vehicle is sporting the same track. BTW can you guys guess what it is?

Joe D

#6: Re: M60A3 Author: Jason_Bobrowich PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:42 am
    ----
Here is the same image but a bit more clear....some of the pads like more square and some of them look like T142 pads. The recovery vehicle is a Leopard 1 ARV Bergepanzer.

Here is a close up from Getty Images of a Turkish M60A3 on its way to the Iraqi border....looks like T142 track.

I think there might be two types of track being used....the T142 and something that looks like a cross between the T142 and Diehl track pads. Here is another image showing the hybrid track pad....maybe locally produced in Turkey?

Here in an Austrian M60A3....it is fitted with the Diehl track....very square track pads and the end connectors have little "duck bills".....this is not what is on the Turkish M60A3s.

#7: Re: M60A3 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:05 pm
    ----
Thanks Jason,

I thought there was something different about that track,

Now about that recovery vehicle, It's based on the M48 hull. Leo's are squared off, this one is rounded.

ArmyRecognitioDataBase

They also have an engineer version. All based on the Original German Design using old M48 Hulls. M48T5 ARV and AEV is what they're called.

Joe D

#8: Re: M60A3 Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:17 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
I'm with Roy

That track looks a lot like T142 but the pads are too square and it's missing the metal cleat that surrounds it. Might be an "After Market" track made by some one else. As far as I know T142 is not being made anymore.

Joe D

They may still be rebuilding T142 at Red River Army Depot for the AVLB's. Just a guess.

#9: Re: M60A3 Author: Jason_Bobrowich PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:11 pm
    ----
Good ID on the M48T5 ARV Joe.....I see the recognition features you mentioned....makes more sense to have an M48 based ARV with the M60s than a Leopard ARV.

-> AFV News Discussion Board