AC500 Error
-> FSX

#1: AC500 Error Author: Rixster PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:45 pm
    ----
I keep getting this error popping up after installing the Howard 500, anybody else get this or know how to fix?

By rixster7077 at 2008-03-26

#2: Re: AC500 Error Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:41 pm
    ----
Hmm. "panel.blu" would be a panel folder in the Aero COmmander 500 (not Howard) folder in the path it's showing.

Personaly, no I don't have that error at all, but then again I'm not too familiar with this SMS message. But for Windows to flag it (if indeed it is WIndows and not some add-on harddrive utility) and indicate that CHKDSK shoudl be run, indicates it's posibly cross-linked or the FAT table entry is otherwise screwed up. That's not good and I think it could be likely have been caused at the time the file or folder was created, rather than by a corrupt download. But you never know.

You might want to wipe the whole AC500 folder inside your Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes folder, (if it will let you) and then definitely run CHKDSK to see if it can straighten things out just to be sure.

How big is your hard drive and how full is it?

#3: Re: AC500 Error Author: Rixster PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:45 pm
    ----
yeah it is the Aero Commander, not the Howard, no idea why I typed that, lol. As far as the HD the one that FSX is on is a 160gig, currently it has 40gig free space left on it.

#4: Re: AC500 Error Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:48 pm
    ----
Ahh. That message is from "System Mechanic" software from iOlo software co. So it's not a standard Windows XP system event message.

Could very well be that it's identifying a valid "burp" that occured during the install + file-write process. I think I'd still take the conservative and cautious approach and see if the whole AC500 folder can be eradicated and then run a CHKDSK just to be sure.

#5: Re: AC500 Error Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:52 pm
    ----
- Rixster
As far as the HD the one that FSX is on is a 160gig, currently it has 40gig free space left on it.

So I take it that FSX is on drive E:\ or F:\ and not C:\
But the error flagged up refers to drive C:\, has the Commander been installed to the correct drive???

#6: Re: AC500 Error Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:06 pm
    ----
Good observation but I think for this System Mechanic tool to flag the file as unreadable it's likely corrupt at the disk level (truncated, etc). If the AC500 is installed on teh wrong drive (which it does't hurt to verify) it should, in a perfect world, simply be unusable/invisible to FSX but shouldn't flag system warnings. I.e., in the wrong place but still not corrupt to the O/S.

I'm just chiming in again, not to take away from your observation Kit, but only because sometimes these types of errors scare me...truncated files aren't a real biggie but I've seen circmstances where sometimes, if something is cross-linked or the FAT tale is going south, things can get wonky in a hurry and frankly I don't trust anything that's installed or written to disk between the time of the error and the time of the CHKDSK repair. Sooner the problem is resolved, the better, IMHO.

Just my two cents.

#7: Re: AC500 Error Author: Rixster PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:10 pm
    ----
It is on the C drive, checked & double checked. How do you run a chkdsk? lol

#8: Re: AC500 Error Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:29 pm
    ----
Once again the blessed Google Gods deliver.....

support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Good luck!

-> FSX