May be offline for a few days
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#1: May be offline for a few days Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:15 am
    ----
Next week I'm out of the country.
This week I have been trying for four days (and most of the night too) to remove a virus I managed to rather stupidly infect my p.c. with.
Anyway, I haven't had any success even with dedicated tools for this particular virus so the only option I have left is to wipe it.
It will take at least three days to re-install everything and configure it.

Thus, you're all in the clear for a while.
Enjoy the silence.
And if I get to hear of anyone being over-friendly with my sweets while I'm not around......!

#2: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:24 am
    ----
- Shades

And if I get to hear of anyone being over-friendly with my sweets while I'm not around......!

You can count on us Shades...lol

Sad about the virus. Anything you want to warn us about? (other than Sweets that is?..lol )

#3: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:07 pm
    ----
Not really.
I think it was my own fault; I was typing blind, without watching what I was doing on screen.
I obviously had a download box come up which I must have accepted by accident.
I saw a "Save as" window flash up for a micro-second and happened to bee looking at exactly the right part of the screen to see where it installed.
But when I checked there appeared to be nothing there so I didn't worry about it.
Next thing I knew I was getting these annoying advertising pop-ups telling me my computer was infected with a virus and I should buy this and that software to remove it (the point of this eludes me as the last people I would trust with my credit card details are those using these marketing methods).
Trying to get rid of that reveleaed two trojans that came with it and it's one of those I can't get shot of (Vunda something or other and it's four years old).
I created a back-up before I'd found it, so I have no back up either.
Can't roll the system back, remove the virus or access my important folders / DVD writer.
It's a nasty one.

Learn from my mistake; Always pay attention to what you're doing and, if you can blind type, don't.
Rolling Eyes

#4: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:12 pm
    ----
Shades, check this out before you go any further. The guys on this site had pretty good success.

Newbies Computer help.

Tell them I sent you!

#5: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: Rixster PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:14 pm
    ----
Have you tried tenr-micro online? it's usually pretty good at removing stuff. Just google Housecall trendmicro.

#6: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:54 am
    ----
-S-

Have you tried a sledghammer..?..remember Shades, when the Squirrels away..the boys will play, right Sweets..?

Hammer Cool Laughing Cool Laughing Cool

#7: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:55 am
    ----
Cheers for the help guys.
Tank, that does look interesting, I'll tryit tonight.
...and it's 'SKWIRRELL', ya sob's.

*treads on Hammers foot*
Can't dance? Can't sweets!
Razz

#8: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: RM_bizkidLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:27 am
    ----
Interesting, I am working on an associates computer that managed to get the same virus? Nasty!!!! I did have success using NOD 32 anti virus in "safe mode" with manual delete confirmations. At the end it totaled 202 infiltrations.
But for the work required (and one is never sure if you got them all).....reload windows is easier once you get access to the CD rom back lol

#9: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:43 am
    ----
I shall probably do that as well Bizzy, but I have a lot of files on it which I would like to save if at all possible first (my accounts, investments, music, etc).
If I can recover them, I will.
Then I'll wipe it and do what I should have done in the first place which was to set up a dual boot with a real operating system. I'll run XP SP3 as my main OS and keep the Vista virus for my music app's (for some reason they run better in Vista).
Smile

Didn't try NOD32 but tried a lot of AV's and Adware and spyware removers. Even the Norton removal tool for that particular virus. Nuttin. And because it's got control of my Explorer I can't even open the better ones normally. I can get them to open in Safe Mode but then the others won't open.
Someone did a real job when they wrote this one.
Particularly miffed that it's four years old, and I allowed it in.

#10: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: RM_bizkidLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:29 pm
    ----
Thinking "out of the box"....maybe if you remove the HD and install it as a non bootable secondary drive in another computer. Then scan that drive with anti virus from the host computer,as all files will not be in use? Confused At least you could unload the files you want to save to another computer.

If at first you don't succeed....cheat a little lol

#11: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:22 pm
    ----
Cheers Bizzy.
I wondered about something similar to that, but looking on the Norton site it advises strongly against connecting to other computers with this particular trojan.
It's a 99% cert to pass the infection to the new system.
I'll try the 'newbies' theory and see how that goes.

#12: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:07 pm
    ----
Shades, have you tried Hiran's Boot CD and the Pre OS Virus Scan tools?

#13: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:24 pm
    ----
Shades, try talking to my wife, that'll drive anything away...LOL

#14: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: 401RCAF_JelLocation: Hiding in Sherwood Forest PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:44 pm
    ----
- Kitform
Shades, try talking to my wife, that'll drive anything away...LOL

LMAO !... Hope your good lady can't hear that from here Shocked

#15: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: RM_bizkidLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:20 pm
    ----
It's a 99% cert to pass the infection to the new system.

I guess they are not very confident in their product lol

Sounds like something from a sci-fi movie...."It Came From The Deep" oooooooooh ........very scary

-> Officer's Club