May be offline for a few days
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#16: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:14 am
    ----
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vundo did u try vundofix?

#17: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:18 am
    ----
Yep, tried it last night.
It seems to have fixed Vundo.
But I still have problems with the system preventing me from accesing some folders.
I also still have these damned pop-up adverts coming up which must mean it's left something behind in the registry.
Reading the forum tale from Tanks' post earlier that would seem to agree with what they found.
Haven't found anything that looks wrong yet though.
Will have another bash tonite and over the weekend.
After that it'll have to wait for a bit as I'm in GCI next week for my folks' Golden Wedding Anniversary.

#18: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:03 am
    ----
I know this sounds odd Shades, but did you try Spybot Search and Destroy?

#19: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:27 am
    ----
Cheers Bush,

I have, but it didn't actually find anything more so I think all the other stuff I did before has cleaned out the dangerous stuff and just left this adware behind. You have to be selective with which stuff you try as some of it is packaged as spyware detectors but is in fact spyware. I know Spybot of old and use it, SpyBlaster, and a few others I trust.

Adaware doesn't seem to be working properly on it (won't even open in safe mode).

It's in the registry somewhere, I'm convinced of it, but I just can't see it. I've made some rather severe cuts to it (which might be why some of it's not functioning properly now).

It's still affecting 'Clarence' (my poota) and I'm getting these pop-ups and still can't open the folders I need to get to the stuff I'd like to save if I can.

If I can save the files before the weekend's out I will. Then I'll format and start over. Otherwise I'll just wipe it and put them down to experience.
Cool

#20: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:15 pm
    ----
Some virus writers include in their code file name to not let load such as Antivirus and other 'fix it' programs. You can try changing the .exe of those programs to 'test.exe' or whatever and see if it'll run then. It may or may not depending on the software maker.

Something I've done is make a new partition and install a new OS on the new partition. From that point, you can back up your data, pics, etc and run all your 'fix it' programs without fear of loosing files. Once you're convinced you have all you need, format the old partition. Wink

If all else fails...

Backup all your pics, docs and important program data and ...well, you know the rest.

#21: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: RM_bizkidLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:04 pm
    ----
I used Acronis True image to back up my freshly completed Raid 0 install of XP and all programs to a second hard drive. I did have a problem with bad demons, and with the XP also on the second drive (E) it was just a matter of minutes to format may Raid Drives (C) with the Acronis backup . I also backup all files to the second drive as well. Seemed like a lot of work at the time...but what great insurance! Well worth the effort of never having to install windows ever again on this computer.

#22: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:42 pm
    ----
Brilliant idea Bush.
I have a 60Gb partition that's already clean!
I was intending to dual boot it with XP.
I'll format it tonight, try a clean Viru... Vista install on it and see what happens.

I don't have access to this system for a while so if you don't hear from me before the 14th, it didn't work. And you're fired again! Razz

#23: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: Rixster PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:30 pm
    ----
you say more goodbyes than cher on a farewell tour, lol

hurry & go so I can start hittin on sweets Wink

good luck, hope the vista works for you.

#24: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:55 pm
    ----
Try this one Shades.

labs.paretologic.com/s...M%20Trojan

or

labs.paretologic.com/s...N%20Trojan

or

labs.paretologic.com/s...o%20Trojan

Xoftspy SE works for a lot of stuff Adware doesn't. Good Luck.

#25: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: sweets PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:37 pm
    ----
Mr. Green Ill miss you Shady babe *Hugz*

#26: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: WolfeLocation: Away Down South in Dixie, USA PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:12 pm
    ----
Shades, have you tried Trojanhunter yet? They have a free trial for 30 days, it has helped other peeps I know.

www.trojanhunter.com

Wulluf

#27: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:01 pm
    ----
Will try it when I get back Wulluf.
But I may be busy with sweets for a few days too.

I think I've cleared all the actual viruses out.
The trouble is the original problem (the pop-up loader) is still present.
Emptied all my Cache and temp folders and it just keeps popping up whatever I do.

On the plus side, I've got the folders I needed to copy (accounts, music, photo's of sweets... ooops! Mr. Green ) out now.
So I can wipe it and start again.
It's still a pain because I have so much on it but I'll just have to grin and bear it, chalk it up to experience, and other metaphors.
I'm getting a "long-term evaluation" copy of XP (my old disc appears to have gone walkies) which may mean installing the dual boot I was supposed to do originally with Viru... Vista.
That means I may actually get CFS1 and my old FFB2 on it. Then I'll just need to time to use them. Laughing

btw, I'm on the Channel Island of Guernsey until tomorrow night. If sweets asks; I'm on the beach, beneath the hotel, skinny-dipping tonight.
Cool

#28: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: WolfeLocation: Away Down South in Dixie, USA PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:42 am
    ----
You could also update your hosts file, I updated mine and a popup browser search finally disappeared.

#29: Re: May be offline for a few days Author: sweets PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:22 pm
    ----
Mr. Green

-> Officer's Club