Ready for that Laptop - Thoughts on this potential beauty??
-> Hardware

#1: Ready for that Laptop - Thoughts on this potential beauty?? Author: JG300_HuntLocation: WA State PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:52 pm
    ----
Tagging onto the last post - I am ready to get a laptop. I found out I am heading to Iraq for a year and need to stay in touch with the world and have a serious gaming rig to pass the time by when I am not kicking doors down. Check this out and let me know what you think - junk or not?

ASUS M70SA-X2 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T9300(2.50GHz) 17.0" Wide UXGA 4GB Memory DDR2 667 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 - Retail

ATI 3650 1GB VRAM & dual lamp full HD LCD

Whether you're watching Blu-ray movies, gaming, or running 3D models, the Asus M70Sa-X2 notebook has you covered with its impressive feature set! With the powerful Mobility Radeon HD 3650 graphics card, 1GB of video RAM and DirectX 10 support, you get crisp movement, rapid response, and stunning 3D performance. The 17" widescreen display gives you true HD performance, so your movies, photos, and video-conferences all come through in lifelike tones. With four Altec Lansing speakers onboard, you'll get every audio nuance of your media!

It's not all fun and games with the M70Sa-X2, though! This smart notebook features a 10-key pad, to speed you through any accounting, spreadsheet, or other data entry tasks you need to tackle. The integrated 1.3 MP webcam swivels, so you can adjust the view without moving the computer to an uncomfortable typing position. Thanks to the Smart Logon facial recognition technology and AuthenTec fingerprint scanner, you can rest assured that your data will stay secure when you're away from they keyboard.

Cutting edge connection options like 802.11A/G/N WiFi, Gigabit LAN, and Bluetooth make it easy to take full advantage of your network's speed and peripherals' capabilities. With a staggering terabyte of hard drive space, you can take it all with you! The M70Sa-X2 brings you serious performance at a price much lower than you might expect.

Model
Brand ASUS
Model M70SA-X2
General
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5G
Screen 17" WUXGA
Memory Size 4GB DDR2
Hard Disk 500GB
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
Video Memory 1024MB
Communication Modem, Gigabit LAN and WLAN
Card slot 1 x Express Card
Dimensions 16.0" x 11.6" x 1.5"
Weight 8.6 lbs.
Other Features Fingerprint reader
30-Day Zero Bright Dot
Carry bag / mouse
CPU
CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo
CPU Speed T9300(2.50GHz)
CPU FSB 800MHz
CPU L2 Cache 6MB
Chipset
Chipset Intel PM965
Display
Screen Size 17.0"
Wide Screen Support Yes
Display Type Wide UXGA
Resolution 1920 x 1200
Operating Systems
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
Graphics
GPU/VPU ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
Video Memory Dedicated 1024MB
Graphic Type Dedicated Card
Hard Drive
HDD 500GB
HD RPM 5400rpm
HD Interface SATA
HD Spec 250GB x 2
Memory
Memory Speed DDR2 667
Memory 4GB
Memory Spec Note: 4GB physical memory installed. Due to 32bit OS limitation, system will only detect and show 3GB only
Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type DVD Super Multi
Optical Drive Interface Integrated
Communications
Modem 56K
LAN 10/100/1000Mbps
WLAN 802.11A/G/N
Bluetooth Yes
Ports
Card Slot 1 x Express Card
USB 4
IEEE 1394 1
Video Port 1 x HDMI
Audio Ports Yes
Audio
Audio Integrated Sound card
Speaker Internal Speakers
Input Device
Touchpad Yes
Keyboard Standard
Supplemental Drive
Card Reader 8-in-1
Webcam 1.3 MP
Power
Battery 8-cell lithium ion
Physical spec
Dimensions 16.0" x 11.6" x 1.5"
Weight 8.6 lbs.
Manufacturer Warranty
Accidental Damage Warranty 1 year ASUS Accidental Damage Warranty - Drops, Fire, Spill, Surge for purchase after 9/10/07
Parts 2 years limited
Labor 2 years limited

#2: Re: Ready for that Laptop - Thoughts on this potential beauty?? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:38 am
    ----
- JG300_Hunt
Memory 4GB
Memory Spec Note: 4GB physical memory installed. Due to 32bit OS limitation, system will only detect and show 3GB only
It's actually slightly more than that. Something like 3.25Gb. Same for XP.
Although 64bit systems will use all of it.

I'm not too hot on laptops but the spec's on that thing tick all the boxes for me. Only thing I would think about is maybe chucking Vista off it and putting XP on instead. That's a personal thing though, many users seem to like it.

#3: Re: Ready for that Laptop - Thoughts on this potential beaut Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:10 am
    ----
- Shades
Only thing I would think about is maybe chucking Vista off it and putting XP on instead. That's a personal thing though, many users seem to like it.

Ditto, but if it's already set up and running AND it runs what you need it to, I would leave it as is. But if it doesn't, it's XP time... Wink

#4: Re: Ready for that Laptop - Thoughts on this potential beauty?? Author: Rixster PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:55 am
    ----
I don't think he could get it with an XP option, and not sure if he could swap it after purchasing. I think I've mentioned it before but I have Vista on my laptop, it's not as powerful as this but I do some minor gaming on mine with older games and it runs fine. Actually the only issue I have with Vista is the stupid security thing that asks me 3 times whether or not I want to install something, or delete something, or move something. That gets kind of irritating but other than that I like it ok. Still not ready to put it on my gaming rig just yet but for the laptop it'll work just fine. It's sweet that it has a fingerprint scanner, that's just too cool. Hunt, I think this will work really well for you. Good luck in Iraq, and thank you for your service, I wish I could shake your hand in person.

#5: Re: Ready for that Laptop - Thoughts on this potential beauty?? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:26 am
    ----
How 'bout asking them to install a dual boot with XP?
If they do this, the best option is to install XP first then install Vista as a dual boot.
Of course there's always Linux too (before anyone says it).

- Rixster
Good luck in Iraq

Ditto.
And don't forget to take a picture of your first sand castle for us.

#6: Re: Ready for that Laptop - Thoughts on this potential beauty?? Author: JG300_HuntLocation: WA State PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:00 pm
    ----
Comparing price to other similar machines, you can't beat it. A buddy of mine got one and loves it. Never heard of ASUS though, which made me wonder on how good it is. Got to ask NewEgg though, says 1 TB of storage but specs say 500GB.. Either way, more space than I could possibly use!

Thanks for the kind words guys - I'll definately throw some pics online when I get over there. And a Sand Castle just for Shades!

I have a bit more time before I buy it (June/July). Not sure if NewEgg will give me one with XP which would be ideal. Will have to barter a tag, but my thoughts are not optimistic ones Mr. Green

#7: Re: Ready for that Laptop - Thoughts on this potential beauty?? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:17 pm
    ----
How much is this thing costing - I didn't see that above (Or I missed it). You might want to check and see if the 'accidental damage warranty' will cover you in Iraq

#8: Re: Ready for that Laptop - Thoughts on this potential beauty?? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:06 pm
    ----
Asus are one of the two top motherboard manufacturers.
Their quality has slipped a little of late but the same could be said of their opposition and they probably hold one of the two top slots.
They seem to prefer being called 'Asustek' these days but their website still goes under the name Asus.

All the other parts look like the mutts nuts as well from what I can see.

#9: Re: Ready for that Laptop - Thoughts on this potential beauty?? Author: JG300_HuntLocation: WA State PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:18 am
    ----
Sorry - All of the above for only $1799

-> Hardware