Saw a model tank in an antique store
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Saw a model tank in an antique store Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:10 pm
    ----
Was rooting around in an antiques store today and saw a model that I had never seen before.

Thought you guys might find it interesting, so I asked to take a picture.

#2: Re: Saw a model tank in an antique store Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:23 pm
    ----
Always wanted one of those. How much did they want for it?

#3: Re: Saw a model tank in an antique store Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:29 pm
    ----
Dennis, did you buy it?

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total

#4: Re: Saw a model tank in an antique store Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:38 pm
    ----
Oh yeah, the T92 kits have been discussed a few times. Here's a link, although it looks like the pictures are now broken:

www.com-central.net/in...hlight=t92

Neil

#5: Re: Saw a model tank in an antique store Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:02 pm
    ----
Thanks for the info. I had never seen a tank with twin 50 cal. cupolas before.

Jeff, they wanted $27 for it. Looked like parts missing, too.

#6: Re: Saw a model tank in an antique store Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:53 pm
    ----
There were two kits of the T92, a tank that was to be the successor to the M41 Walker Bulldog. The one above was made by Tamiya and boxed by them as well as Hawk in 1/50th scale.

The second kit was made by ITC/Ringo and was 1/24 scale. I've got two of the 1/50th kits and two of the 1/24th kits.

It does not have twin .50 cal cupolas. One cupola has a .30 cal in it.

I have photos of the remaining tank on display at Aberdeen.

#7: Re: Saw a model tank in an antique store Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:08 pm
    ----
I think that info on the side is all BS. Wasn't in WW2 and certainly wasn't 240mm. I don't think it was based on an M26 either.

Sabot, I just finished reading Hunicutt's Light Tank Vol 2 and there was a prototype with twin Cal .50's. but it got changed to Cal .30.

#8: Re: Saw a model tank in an antique store Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:16 pm
    ----
Good catch. There was a T92 240mm Howitzer Motor Carriage developed during WWII - but this obviously isnt it.

Someone didnt do their research way back then, but OTOH this was pre-Hunnicutt so...

Neil

#9: Re: Saw a model tank in an antique store Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:06 pm
    ----
Good investigating, Neil!

[img]http://www.com-central.net/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10924/normal_scan%7E0.jpg[/img]

#10: Re: Saw a model tank in an antique store Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:35 pm
    ----
Thanks for clarifying that. Been scratching my head all afternoon.

Some of the sites I've visited say it was the forerunner of M114 APC

#11: Re: Saw a model tank in an antique store Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
    ----
real bummer having a kit I remember from my youth in an antique store Sad

Piney

#12: Re: Saw a model tank in an antique store Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:53 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Good catch. There was a T92 240mm Howitzer Motor Carriage developed during WWII - but this obviously isnt it.

Someone didnt do their research way back then, but OTOH this was pre-Hunnicutt so...

Neil

I think the reference to WWII is to the concept of Tank Destroyers not a vehicle number in and of itself (the purpose of the WWII T92 sure wasn't to destroy enemy tanks Rolling Eyes )

I can see some folks postulating a connection between the T92 and the M114 but I think they have it wrong. I see the T92 as a counterpoint to the M114, the way the M18 or M36 was a counterpoint to the M8 armored cars in the Tank Destroyer units. The T92 program was killed by the PT-76. When the US found out that the Soviets had an amphibious light tank a mandate came down that ours had to be amphibious also. There was no real hope of doing that to the T92 so it was shelved and the next iteration was the M551

#13: Re: Saw a model tank in an antique store Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:13 am
    ----
I think the T-92 competed against the M-41 tank for a contract.

#14: Re: Saw a model tank in an antique store Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:05 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway

I would have voted for the T-92 just on looks alone. Great info guys!

#15: Re: Saw a model tank in an antique store Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:48 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
The T92 was developed as a replacement to the M41. As stated above, the amphibious PT-76 appeared and the T92 Airborne Drop Tank was cancelled.

Only two were built, one with tracks that came in 8 foot sections similar to an Ontos or SPAT (as seen on the boxart). The other used a track system from the M24 Chaffee as seen in the photo above and on the example in APG.

-> AFV News Discussion Board