Panzers powered by wood gas?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Panzers powered by wood gas? Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:53 pm
    ----
I know a fair number of German vehicles were powered by wood gas as the end of the war neared. What I am wondering were any tanks and/or armored vehicles powered in this manner. Pictures would be appreciated Smile

#2: Re: Panzers powered by wood gas? Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:34 pm
    ----
ww2.whidbey.net/jamesl...oodgas.htm no armor but intresting

#3: Re: Panzers powered by wood gas? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:55 pm
    ----
ask and you shall be rewarded

Here is a 251

and a really strange looking vehicle that appears to be based on a panzer II

I'm sure there are more out there

Piney

#4: Re: Panzers powered by wood gas? Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:13 am
    ----
Thanks guys. With this info, I am going to show a few people that anything is possible when it comes to helping to solve this gas crisis.

#5: Re: Panzers powered by wood gas? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:24 am
    ----
At the end of the war the germans were even developing a steam-powered armoured recovery vehicle...

#6: Re: Panzers powered by wood gas? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:02 am
    ----
As I understand it (I can't remember the exact source) Second line and training units were converted to 'alternate fuel' to help stretch supplies for the line units

#7: Re: Panzers powered by wood gas? Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:26 pm
    ----
The PzKpfw II chasis is probably some sort of driver's training vehicle as indicated by the plate above the taillight. It appears to say "FAHR...."

What's just as interesting are the Italian tanks in the pics with the big turret bustle boxes. That is something I haven't seen until now and will be very useful. Thanks for posting.

#8: Re: Panzers powered by wood gas? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:43 pm
    ----
Panther training units used acetelyne gas IIRC

#9: Re: Panzers powered by wood gas? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:33 pm
    ----
don't think this is wood gas but some sort of alternate fuel set up from a trainging unit

Piney

#10: Re: Panzers powered by wood gas? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:55 pm
    ----
This page has three photos of a panther with the "Stadtgas" (apparently something like propane) set up
forum.valka.cz/viewtop...802#112802

Piney

Last edited by piney on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total

#11: Re: Panzers powered by wood gas? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:20 pm
    ----
- piney
don't think this is wood gas but some sort of alternate fuel set up from a trainging unit

Piney

Looks like the top of a rather low-slung wood gas burner....

#12: Re: Panzers powered by wood gas? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:59 pm
    ----
I wish I could do this on my car. But I'll bet everything I have that the EPA wouldn't allow it Evil or Very Mad

#13: Re: Panzers powered by wood gas? Author: palic PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:53 am
    ----
Have you noticed german cross overpainted with the red star in the second picture???
The text should be FAHRERSCHULE I believe...
Have seen some more pics of "short" (250 series) and "long" (251 series) halftracks powered by wood gas.

#14: Re: Panzers powered by wood gas? Author: C_AnkerstjerneLocation: Denmark PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:29 pm
    ----
The Sd. Kfz. 251 is from Pz. Rgt. 55/233. Pz. Div. The photograph was taken in Holstebro, Denmark in either late 1944 or early 1945.

#15: For Toadman Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:51 pm
    ----
Here is the link to more photos of those Italian vehicles.Carro Armato M15/42

-> AFV News Discussion Board