Seen at Boatwright, Fort Knox
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Seen at Boatwright, Fort Knox Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:37 pm
    ----
These vehicles are parked in a holding area at Boatwright, Fort Knox. The M47 is S/N 3200, and the M42 has a data plate on the back that says 256-3256. The cannon is labeled "Little Bertha."

Did these come from storage somewhere at Knox, or did they come from someplace else entirely? Anyone know why they are at Boatwright?

Geoff Walden

#2: Re: Seen at Boatwright, Fort Knox Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:50 pm
    ----
Too bad they are covered up.

#3: Re: Seen at Boatwright, Fort Knox Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:55 pm
    ----
- Geoff_walden
Anyone know why they are at Boatwright?

Geoff Walden

Depot maintenence? Laughing

#4: Re: Seen at Boatwright, Fort Knox Author: binder001 PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:39 pm
    ----
Nice, mint-condition towed 8" howitzer right next to the M47. Some nice stuff, hope the CMH finds a good home for them (how about the park in my town?)

Gary

#5: Re: Seen at Boatwright, Fort Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:41 pm
    ----
(cough, cough....)

Those are new arrivals to Ft Knox.

I have a few ideas for their future dispositions, but have to do some confirmations before speculating.

i'll see if i can find out more,.....

BTW: Boatwright is the maint/refurb facility here on 'Planet Knox'. They have 'historically' assisted the PM, but doing some vehicle restorations, in the past. Most notably the Panzerkampfwagn Mark III, and the Tiger II which are art of the PM collection.

Don

#6: Re: Seen at Boatwright, Fort Knox Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:54 pm
    ----
"Little Bertha" LOL Mr. Green

#7: Re: Seen at Boatwright, Fort Knox Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:37 pm
    ----
Don,
Any idea where they came from?

I'm always suspicious of "new arrivals" such as these - cant help but wonder if I have them listed already elsewhere and should now be removed...

Unfortunately, no SN 3200 M47 on the list...

The M42 Duster SN doesnt sound right, although there was a SN 256 M42A1 Duster donated to the Ropkey Armor Museum...

Neil

#8: Re: Seen at Boatwright, Fort Knox Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:57 pm
    ----
It's the assembly area for vehicles headed to Fort Benning Wink

#9: Re: Seen at Boatwright, Fort Knox Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:20 am
    ----
Always thought the M47 was one "Cool" looking tank, I'd take one in a heartbeat in lieu of an M60. Got plenty room for her in my back yard, but my Wife would probably hang bird feeders off the tube and plant flowers in the sponson boxes Rolling Eyes .

Maybe it was all those war movies from the 60's that I saw as a kid that influenced me Confused .

Joe D

#10: Re: Seen at Boatwright, Fort Knox Author: BryanWilson PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:55 am
    ----
- Joe_D
Always thought the M47 was one "Cool" looking tank...
Joe D

Same here. Always thought that the M47 was one of the best looking US tanks.

#11: Re: Seen at Boatwright, Fort Knox Author: 3R22RLocation: Ste-Agathe des Monts QC PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:53 pm
    ----
The M42 has the MERDC camo, probably one of the last in service.

The M47 seems to have a fresh paint job, I saw M60s in Germany
with M47 storage bins added to the back (probably from target tanks)

#12: Re: Seen at Boatwright, Fort Knox Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:40 pm
    ----
- 3R22R
The M42 has the MERDC camo, probably one of the last in service.

The M47 seems to have a fresh paint job, I saw M60s in Germany
with M47 storage bins added to the back (probably from target tanks)

I think we had a discussion remark about that modification several years ago. The bins from the '47 being a simple fix and an improvement for the crew.

#13: Re: Seen at Boatwright, Fort Knox Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:37 am
    ----
All came from the Ropkey Museum in Indiana. Apparently they weren't supposed to be there . . . legally. There are no plans right now to do anything with them since there isn't any better storage at Richardson. They'll probably eventually go to Benning as well.

#14: Re: Seen at Boatwright, Fort Knox Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:37 am
    ----
Interesting... Has a particular M1917 been seized as well?...

Neil

#15: Re: Seen at Boatwright, Fort Knox Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:38 am
    ----

-> AFV News Discussion Board