New Jersey Tanks
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: New Jersey Tanks Author: RhinoQLocation: The Great Plains PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:42 am
    ----
Hello,

I'm new to the site and I'm very impressed with the AFV Reg. I am interested in military equipment specifically cold war equipment (I'm not picky artillery, tanks, helos, APCs, etc). I had a friend at work send me the AFV Reg before I went on a trip to New Jersey and now that I'm back I see you guys are really interested in SNs, I wish I would have known that I saw a great deal of the vehicles in NJ (Fort Dix, Sea Girt, Laweranceville, and the NJ ARNG UTES). I'm new at the SN stuff so I didn't get them, but I took tons of pictures...

I'm not sure if there is an offical way to add additional vehicles or if you want confirmation etc...

Thanks again for the work!

#2: Re: New Jersey Tanks Author: RhinoQLocation: The Great Plains PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:29 am
    ----
Below is the breakout of AFV Only (if you have questions about the helos/artillery/support just let me know) at Fort Dix I put them in groups of where they are. I have pictures of all of them if needed just ask. I also didn't include an M113 that is just a hull at an FOB training range, and some old rusted stripped out hulls of M59s along the range road...even though it was kind of cool to see them just sitting there in the sand.

Vehicles located at General Circle
M47
M1
M60
M110A2
M113

Vehicles at Dix-McGuire Circle
MT-LB
T-72
BTR-50
M80 BVP (Used to be at Lawrenceville NJ ARNG FA Museum annex)

Vehicles to the right of the Fort Dix Museum
M551
M578
M114

Vehicles across the soccer fields from the Fort Dix Museum
M60
M60

Vehicles on Millville Ave
M114
M7 (Used to be at the Dix-McGuire Circle)
M901
M41
M46

NJ Army National Guard UTES (Fort Dix)
M60 (on display out front)

#3: Re: New Jersey Tanks Author: RhinoQLocation: The Great Plains PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:41 am
    ----
Vehicles at Sea Girt NJ Army National Guard Facility

Across the street from the Sea Girt Museum building
M4A3
M42
M60
M48
M113A3
M728
M75
M110

Across from the RV spots/Motorcycle driving course, these vehicles are all in rough shape and are not in display form/position with grass moving in. Although most hatches were open.
M26/T26 (very bad shape)
HEL STTV (horrible shape)
M47 (getting bad)
M706 (labeled US Navy)

#4: Re: New Jersey Tanks Author: RhinoQLocation: The Great Plains PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:46 am
    ----
Some vehicles I did not see/find that are on the list:
M901 at Sea Girt, maybe the one at Fort Dix now.
BMP-1 never saw one at Fort Dix, Sea Girt, or Lawrenceville
M48A5 AVLB at Fort Dix
M548A1 at Fort Dix

It should be noted that I did not make it into the museums at Fort Dix, Sea Girt, or Lawrenceville as they were closed on the day I was there. Also Lawrenceville has a beauty of a storage yard that is all covered in vines and grass.

#5: Re: New Jersey Tanks Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:03 pm
    ----
Wow RhinoQ, many thanks! This is about as official as it gets, LOL. I'll add these to V3.1 and credit you with the identification. Many thanks!

Neil

#6: Re: New Jersey Tanks Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:35 pm
    ----
RhinoQ, any pics of the M60s? Just want to confirm whether they are "A0s" (ie M48 turrets), A2s, A3s - or by some odd chance an A2 mixed in there...

I'm curious as to what happened to the M48A5 AVLB and M548A1 that used to be at Fort Dix. I guess I will list them as potentially in storage

www.track-link.net/image_lib/47
www.track-link.net/image_lib/44

Thanks!

Neil

#7: Re: New Jersey Tanks Author: RhinoQLocation: The Great Plains PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:12 pm
    ----
Neil,

No thank you, this has been fun...I added two shots of the M60s at the soccer field to my gallery...

Quentin

#8: Re: New Jersey Tanks Author: RhinoQLocation: The Great Plains PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:18 pm
    ----
Regarding the M548A1 it looks like in that picture it is in part of a motorpool? At the UTES, they had a number of 548s laying in what the major called the "ox yard" (at least that is what it sounded like) plus a bunch of M109A3s that were awaiting disposal. In addition to a number of other really cool cold war vehicles just left...I'll put a picture up of the UTES also...

#9: Re: New Jersey Tanks Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:22 pm
    ----
Fisrt of all Welcome to the group Rhino, it's a nice bunch

Thank you much Rhino, Dix is closed to the public now generally, and while we knew there were vehicles there we really didn't have a good handle on it.

by the way I see from your signature that your refer to M60's you might find Joe D & my M60 spotters guide available in the member's Downloads › AFV Downloads-M60 spotter's guide . The price is right and any new info or error corrections would be appreciated

Piney

#10: Re: New Jersey Tanks Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:26 pm
    ----
- RhinoQ
Neil,

No thank you, this has been fun...I added two shots of the M60s at the soccer field to my gallery...

Quentin

Uh thanks RhinoQ - but gallery? What gallery? I think I'm missing something here...

Oh yeah, and is the Sea Girt Stuart still there?

Neil

#11: Re: New Jersey Tanks Author: RhinoQLocation: The Great Plains PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:56 pm
    ----
Oh sorry I'm a little new at this forum thing but I think under my signature it says my gallery? (maybe only I can see that?) if not I'll learn how to post the picture to the thread.

P-
Fort Dix was a treat for me, last time I was there it was wide open now they actually ID you, but still they have a ton of treasures laying around the UTES and the ranges...

#12: Re: New Jersey Tanks Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:35 pm
    ----
Hmm... As a moderator now I should probably know how such things work...

Ok, I your gallery (and the galleries in general, LOL)
www.com-central.net/in...&cat=12806

Neil

#13: Re: New Jersey Tanks Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:54 pm
    ----
I cant tell if this is an M60A1 or A3 - cant see the windage sensor...

Anyone?

Looks like your Fort Dix soccer field M60s are A3s to me...

Good pictures BTW!

Neil

#14: Re: New Jersey Tanks Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:05 pm
    ----
Welcome Rhino! Is it a coincidence that the M114 and the Sheridan are parked with a recovery vehicle? I don't think so! Wink

Neil, When I'm looking at an M60 and can't see the wind sensor I look for the thermal shroud.

#15: Re: New Jersey Tanks Author: RhinoQLocation: The Great Plains PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:06 pm
    ----
Lawrenceville AFVs at the NJ ArNG reservation in the display parking lot
Marmon-Herrington CTMS Light Tank
M106A2
M109
M901
M110A2
M110
M108
M48
M60
M42
M55

Behind the fenced off area/storage lot…this place had a number of vehicles in the overgrowth
M49 Otter
A number of other vehicles that were barely visible through the grass/vines/mother nature

In the motorpool area next to the storage lot
M60 (too far to get a good picture)

In front of the armory (same location as the museum just along the main road
M7

-> AFV News Discussion Board