Royal Artillery Museum #3: Late WWII artillery pieces
-> Artillery Forum

#1: Royal Artillery Museum #3: Late WWII artillery pieces Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:38 am
    ----
7.2 inch field howitzer

Mk III 5.5 inch field howitzer

7.2 inch Recoilless Rifle

Neil

#2: Re: Royal Artillery Museum #3: Late WWII artillery pieces Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:50 pm
    ----
Did anyone notice the mistake in the description of the 7.2" Howitzer? It proves that Americans aren't th eonly ones to get Museum displays wrong Smile

#3: Re: Royal Artillery Museum #3: Late WWII artillery pieces Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:18 pm
    ----
Uh... You may have to clue me in... Did it have to do with the 8-inch???

Neil

#4: Re: Royal Artillery Museum #3: Late WWII artillery pieces Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:27 pm
    ----
Was the 155mm M1 classified as a "howitzer"?

#5: Re: Royal Artillery Museum #3: Late WWII artillery pieces Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:33 pm
    ----
Well there is a 155mm M1 Howitzer but it ain't the piece that uses that carriage. That was the 155mm M1 Gun which along with the 8" Howitzer formed the Heavy artillery family of pieces.

Follow up quiz. Since each family of pieces contained botth a gun and a howitzer that used a common carriage. Wat was the gun that was paired with the 155mm Howitzer?

#6: Re: Royal Artillery Museum #3: Late WWII artillery pieces Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:37 pm
    ----
- bsmart
Well there is a 155mm M1 Howitzer but it ain't the piece that uses that carriage. That was the 155mm M1 Gun which along with the 8" Howitzer formed the Heavy artillery family of pieces.

Follow up quiz. Since each family of pieces contained botth a gun and a howitzer that used a common carriage. Wat was the gun that was paired with the 155mm Howitzer?

Does that mean I get at least partial credit? Laughing I had in mind the 155mm "Long Tom" on that carriage, which I never thought of as a "howitzer".

#7: Re: Royal Artillery Museum #3: Late WWII artillery pieces Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:03 am
    ----
You get full credit for the original question I was just expanding on the reason for the difference.

Which leaves the second question

#8: Re: Royal Artillery Museum #3: Late WWII artillery pieces Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:31 am
    ----
- bsmart
You get full credit for the original question I was just expanding on the reason for the difference.

Which leaves the second question

That's "Mission Creep". You Air Force guys are all alike, ain't cha'?! Razz

#9: Re: Royal Artillery Museum #3: Late WWII artillery pieces Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:04 pm
    ----
It's more looks like 8-inch M1 howitzer. Same carriage than Long Tom.

#10: Re: Royal Artillery Museum #3: Late WWII artillery pieces Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:56 pm
    ----
This is the Brit 7.2 inch BL Field Howitzer MK6 its hard to see it but the last foot or so of the tube is a slightly larger diameter the rest of the tube, not the case with either the US 155mm Gun or 8" Howitzer. This is located at Fort Nelson, Portsmouth. Same US Carriage, 3 different tubes mounted

#11: Re: Royal Artillery Museum #3: Late WWII artillery pieces Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:22 am
    ----
- Taranov
It's more looks like 8-inch M1 howitzer. Same carriage than Long Tom.

It is the same carriage as the Long Tom, but it isn't an 8" Howitzer. It is more obvious when you see it in person. I saw it at Ft Nelson back in 2000 when I was on a business trip to the UK. Then it was outside at the entrance. walking up to it thinking it was an 8" something didn't look quite right. I couldn't really put my finger on it but the barrel just didn't look right. Once I reaed the plaque I knew why (The mistake refrencing the 155mm Howitzer was there then and I mentioned it to the docent collecting admissions. We see how useful that was Rolling Eyes )

Anyway no one answered the followup question. When I saw Army junk had replied I was figuring he had answered.

The companion piece for the 155 Howitzer was the 4.5" gun. It was a rather mediocre weapon derived from a WWI British weapon. It had only margionally better range than the 155 Howitzer and a small HE charge in each round (It seems that most British HE rounds of that era suffered from that problem. I always figured it had to do with the type of steel they made rounds from which required a thicker casing which reduced the cavity available for the filler charge but that is only a guess based on odd and end pieces of information from sources I no longer remember). 4.5s were deployed but never in great numbers and were replaced either by 155 Howitzers or 155 guns when possible.

#12: Re: Royal Artillery Museum #3: Late WWII artillery pieces Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:15 am
    ----
4.5in Field Gun at Fort Sill several more of these displayed in a line on post, maybe 4 or 5

-> Artillery Forum